Taping into basement ceiling box

Old 04-04-07, 12:18 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Taping into basement ceiling box

First off i'm a newbe, so i'm asking a question. In the basement there are ceiling
boxes with lights the boxes have a wire going in, and a wire going out to the next light box. I have and attached garage that i want to put an outlet in the wall, can i wire nut a 14-3 wire in the box to feed the outlet in the garage, and would it be live all the time. I already made the holes just didn't put in a outlet yet, want to know before i go any further. Help
thanks

Old 04-04-07, 12:25 PM
R
14-3 would be the wrong cable. 14-2 would be correct, assuming a 15 amp circuit. If a 20 amp circuit, 12-2 would the appropriate cable.

What else is on this circuit?

Are these lights switch controlled or are they pull chain controlled?

What do you intend to use this receptacle for in the garage?

Old 04-04-07, 12:37 PM
I see several concerns (but I'm not a pro):

1. lighting circuits - there's a good chance the circuit is switched. Unless each fixture has a pull-chain or similar switching device built-in.

2. not always a good idea to add outlets to lighting circuits.

3. I believe garage circuits should be 20A, but this may vary by local code.

I think a better route would be to find an existing outlet circuit, or make a new run back to the service panel. It depends on what you plan to plug in to the outlet, really.

Good luck!

Old 04-04-07, 12:42 PM
W
The basement lights are all pull chain, thats all thats on the 15 amp circuit, i plan to use this outlet to feed the deck outlet that i already have. I spliced into
the attic wires years ago, but it wasen't right, some house switches had to be turned on before the deck outlet had power. Want to do this right, this time.
thanks

Old 04-04-07, 12:46 PM
R
I would be surprised if the basement lights are the only thing on this circuit. You should make certain that this is the case before you go any further.

How do you intend to feed a deck receptacle from a receptacle in the garage? You're leaving something out. We need the big picture.

Old 04-04-07, 01:02 PM
W
Right now i want to put an outlet in the garage, and plug in the cord that feeds the deck outlet. I could run the wire up and put it in conduit along the walls to the deck outlet, but i thought if i had another outlet i would get more use out of it.
thanks

Old 04-04-07, 01:02 PM
C
You should consider feeding the garage with its own dedicated circuit.

Old 04-04-07, 02:19 PM
R
I shudder to think how you wired a deck receptacle such that it needs to be "plugged" in, and cannot fathom that this is a legal or safe connection. But I'll be glad to listen if you want to try to convince me otherwise.

Please stop tight here, buy two or three good book on home wiring, and then read them, or at least the pertinent sections. Then devise a plan to add a receptacle properly in your garage, and fix the mistake you made feeding the deck receptacle so that it is proper and safe. Finally, post your pln back here if you would like us to comment on it before you begin.

Electricity can and does start fires and kill people. Whatever you do must be done within code and must be safe.

Old 04-04-07, 02:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Also remember that if the basement is unfinished, the receptacle may need to be GFCI protected as well. Some localities don't require this, but most do.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: