Help!! kitchen lighting issues...

Reply

  #1  
Old 04-06-07, 04:18 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 8
Help!! kitchen lighting issues...

I just installed recessed lighting and a fan from two previous circuits. i thought just replacing them would be easy, but its not! The fan was a flourencent light which operated on a switch/outlet. The incandescent light was on a regular switch. Both of switches shared the same box and had a very confusing mix of wiring that i tried to duplicate when i had finished the installation of the fan and recessed lights. Now, when I flip the circuit breaker on the recessed lights are on no matter what, and the fan goes on when i flip the switch. So i after repeated steps of trying different wiring combonations i could only get the fan turning on and off, but the recessed lights would stay on. The setup is like this:

a line from the circuit breaker runs to a junction box that is connected to two leads. One goes to the fan, the other goes to the first can of the recessed lights. There are five recessed lights and they are all on the same run. The problem is when i get to the switches. I blew the circuit a few times, and like i said before could only get the fan to turn on and off with the cans going on as soon as i turn the breaker on. Any help is greatly appreciated.
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 04-06-07, 04:32 PM
Member
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: welland ontario
Posts: 5,599
Connect all the whites together.
Connect the power black from the cricuit box to two black pigtails wires. Connect one of the the pigtails to each switch.
Connect the fan black to the second screw of one switch.
Connect the light wires ot he second screw of the other switch.
Connect all the ground wires together.
 
  #3  
Old 04-06-07, 05:11 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by joed View Post
Connect all the whites together.
Connect the power black from the cricuit box to two black pigtails wires. Connect one of the the pigtails to each switch.
Connect the fan black to the second screw of one switch.
Connect the light wires ot he second screw of the other switch.
Connect all the ground wires together.

no that didnt work, i dont think i made myself clear. Here's what's going on once more. Hopefully this isn;t too confusing. thanks again for the help!

the wire from 1 breaker enters junction box. Then, there are three lines. One line goes to the fan (or possibly another junction box; this is a remodel) But this line was connected to the line from the breaker and was able to operate fan before i disconnected everything. The same goes for the recessed light line One line goes to the first can in the recessed light string, and the last line is for the recessed light too, i just added a line so i can start the recessed light string at another location from where this junction box is located. All the blacks are pigtailed, and all the whites are pigtailed too.

At the switch i have two leads. One is from the fan and the other is from the recessed lights. That's where I am now. If i can get them working on seperate switches i'll be fine for now. thanks for the help!
 
  #4  
Old 04-06-07, 07:05 PM
Member
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: ontario canada
Posts: 381
Originally Posted by markho View Post
no that didnt work, i dont think i made myself clear. Here's what's going on once more. Hopefully this isn;t too confusing. thanks again for the help!

the wire from 1 breaker enters junction box. Then, there are three lines. One line goes to the fan (or possibly another junction box; this is a remodel) But this line was connected to the line from the breaker and was able to operate fan before i disconnected everything. The same goes for the recessed light line One line goes to the first can in the recessed light string, and the last line is for the recessed light too, i just added a line so i can start the recessed light string at another location from where this junction box is located. All the blacks are pigtailed, and all the whites are pigtailed too.

At the switch i have two leads. One is from the fan and the other is from the recessed lights. That's where I am now. If i can get them working on seperate switches i'll be fine for now. thanks for the help!
lets go back to where you added a line to get to a new (i am guessing only one switch) switch

in the box where you added the wire...power black to black fan.. white power to white fan.................black from light to power black...white from light (put black tape on this wire now) to black going to new switch...white from switch to power white....this is what i think you have...not entirley sure
 
  #5  
Old 04-06-07, 07:27 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 8
the added line was a splice to start the recessed can strings in another location than under the junction box.
 
  #6  
Old 04-06-07, 07:52 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 8
IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I took your directions and it all works now. Thanks a million!!! THis site rules and so do you!!!! Thanks brother!!!! Billie is the man!!! THanks for the time bro, your the best!
 
  #7  
Old 04-06-07, 08:29 PM
Member
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: United States
Posts: 18,497
Did I read this wrong, or does this now switch the neutral? Either I misunderstood, or this is wrong. Not everything that works is safe.
 
  #8  
Old 04-07-07, 02:30 PM
Member
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: ontario canada
Posts: 381
Originally Posted by John Nelson View Post
Did I read this wrong, or does this now switch the neutral? Either I misunderstood, or this is wrong. Not everything that works is safe.
you are right mr nelson..my mistake...
black power to black switch...white switch (now with black tape) to black light..white light to white power
again..sorry for not reading my original post over before posting

i have pm ed the original writer in case he didnt come back here
 
  #9  
Old 04-07-07, 02:42 PM
Member
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: United States
Posts: 18,497
Much better, and much safer, but still not quite code compliant. Code requires that, in a switch loop, the white wire carry the unswitched power to the switch and that the black wire carry the switched power back. Care to try your explantion one more time?

And I much prefer to reidentify hot white wires with a black permanent marker rather than black tape. Tape has a way of falling off.
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
'