Im totally stumped with this wiring....

Old 04-07-07, 04:32 PM
Im totally stumped with this wiring....

I recently took down a light fixture in my utility room to replace it...when i took the old one down and put the new one up i lost power to it...there is power showing at the light switch...i also lost power to a receptacle and another light switch that control the lights on my back porch...with a tester it shows power to the receptacle and both switches....

So i test the receptacle with the little plug in tester and it shows that i have an open neutral....

I will try to explain the wires that are going into the junction box above the light fixture in the utility room....

I have four separate wires coming into the box...one wire is coming is from a receptacle that is working fine....the white wire is going to the light fixture....the black wire from this receptacle is combined with the black wires from the other receptacle, the switch to the back porch and the white wire from the light switch to the utility room (with a nut)...the black wire from the switch to the utility room is going to the light fixture...the white wires from the other receptacle and the other light switch are connected together with a nut...

I hope that all this makes sense...cause im totally stumped...can anyone help?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-07, 04:45 PM
Put away your tester, you do not know how to use it. Using it wrong will only confuse you. You should have simply connected the new light to the same wires that the old light was connected to.

Connect: The black wires from the receptacles, the white wire to the utility switch and black wire of the porch switch.

Connect: The black wire from the utility switch to the black wire of the light.

Connect: The white wires of the receptacles, the utility light and the porch switch.

Now before you do this, I strongly urge you to draw this on paper so you see why it works.

Finally, I urge you to buy and read several books on home wiring. You turned a ten minute job into something much bigger, all because you didn't respect electricity.

Electricity can and does kill people and start fires.

Old 04-07-07, 04:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Don't go too deep yet, Go back to the laundry light, take it down and check the connections. Thats the only thing you touched. More than coincidence.

Shut the ckt off first.

Old 04-07-07, 04:50 PM
The white wire coming from the receptacle that works is not connected to the white wire from the light. But it also needs to be connected to the white wire from the other receptacle and the white wire going to the porch switch. Do that, and all will be well.

In other words, all the white wires in the box need to be connected together, except not the white wire going to the utility room switch.

EDIT: I was typing as Bob was, but I see that we said the same thing. That's good.

Old 04-07-07, 08:37 PM
Smile Thanks Guys

Thank you to racraft and John for your help in solving this problem...everything is working great!...Thanks again...Scott