Corroded exterior conduit repair

Old 04-07-07, 11:34 PM
Corroded exterior conduit repair

Just purchased a house - single story with poured concrete exterior walls constructed in 1972. All wirings are in rigid metal conduits.

There are two lines that run across the attic and down the poured concrete wall (embedded in concrete I believe). There is a concrete pad twenty feet wide on the outside just adjacent to the exterior wall. One one end the conduit comes up through the pad to feed the AC unit and on the other end it comes up to feed the swimming pool pump.

The conduit servicing the pool pump is broken off exposing the wires inside seen here:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w67/143house/exterior/P1000932.jpg

close up:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w67/143house/exterior/P1000933.jpg

The conduit next to the AC unit has not broken off yet but will be soon, it
is all corroded at the bottom:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w67/143house/exterior/P1000931.jpg

close up:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w67/143house/exterior/P1000930.jpg

Any suggestion how to fix that? Do I need to chip out the slab and make a
hole to replace the conduit? or is there some sort of a mender to fix this
kind of situation.

Thanks in advance,

MC

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-07, 04:15 AM
I am sorry to be the barer of bad news. You need to replace that entire run.

Check your local codes. You may be able to go back with PVC conduit or a PVC coated direct burry cable. Either of these will last much longer in your soil conditiions.

Old 04-08-07, 04:32 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Any suggestion how to fix that? Do I need to chip out the slab and make a
hole to replace the conduit? or is there some sort of a mender to fix this
kind of situation.*

No bad news J, He knows what he must do, answerd it himself.

Sorry, thats the only way. Get it back to good, maybe in the basement, then replace the damaged peice.

ADD: You will most likely go up to the atic then out and down.
How are the copper condenser lines?

Last edited by lectriclee; 04-08-07 at 04:49 AM.
Old 04-08-07, 04:38 AM
It is a shame the home inspector didn't discover this, as it would be a red flag, and the previous owner would be responsible for repair.

Old 04-08-07, 07:32 AM
There is no basement (not possible in Miami, Florida as water table is too high). The pipe run is embedded in solid poured concrete and so to remove that run I have to chip out the concrete wall?

In addition, the pool pipe runs from the main drain, the skimmer, the return lines and the AC conduits are all embedded in the same concrete in the same general area. So it is very likely we will do more damages. I am not liking this!!!

MC : (

Old 04-08-07, 07:38 AM
To go down the side of the house, you can run the conduit on the exterior of the structure. Not pretty, but better than opening up a concrete wall.

Also the conduit inside the wall may not be dammaged as bad as the underground part.

As for chipping up the concrete on the ground. You will likely not get arround this part. Keep in mind that clearance of conduit under 4 inches of concrete is Zero. So if you are going to patch the concrete back with at least 4 inches of concrete, you will have to do very little digging of dirt.

You should first investigate to see if the part of the conduit that inside the wall can be re-used. Then go from there.

Old 04-08-07, 07:40 AM
MC. One way out. From the panel up to the attic across and down.

Sorry. The weather here is still very cold. so if you want to work something out.............

Old 04-08-07, 07:42 AM
I just looked at the pictures again.

Are both the equipments located next to the wall of the house?

If so through the attic and down is one option. Another is around the outer wall of the house. Ugly, but effective.

Old 04-08-07, 07:43 AM
BTW: excellent idea posting pics it makes a mental picture of the job much easier to see

Old 04-08-07, 07:59 AM
nap
depending on how the building is laid out and what you prefer, there are two possibiities I see.

#1 If you don't mind the conduit exposed outside, you can go through the wall up high and run it down the outside of the wall

#2 depending on how the interior wall is constructed, you may prefer removing any finish application (drywall on studs maybe? in just a small area. Run the conduit from the attic, down the wall on the inside, drill through the wall a couple inches from the ground to the outside and then run exposed conduit from there. You can then repair the interior wall finish. (this entire method is of coursr dependant on there being some sort of interior wall that has a cavity)

as jwhite stated, if allowable, PVC conduit would not corrode. If PVC is not allowable, there is PVC coated rigid conduit available. It is a PITA but if you used it only where there is contact with the concrete work, the bother would be minimized.

The point is, the chemicals in concrete corrode steel. As long as stell is allowed to directly contact the concrete, there will be deterioration.

Rather than using PVC coated rigid, you may consider sleeving the wall wher you pass through with a piece of PVC conduit large enough to allow the steel conduit to fit inside. Caulk when finished. (inside and outside the PVC sleeve)