twin breakers?

Old 04-09-07, 02:34 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
twin breakers?

Ok I have a 100 amp ITE Pushmatic breaker panel. I have run out of room and now I am starting to replace breakers with the Twin breakers. My first question is, is this safe to have a lot of these breakers. I am in the process of redoing my kitchen and now I have 4 seperate 20 amp breakers as opposed to the one single one I had running the whole kitchen. I started to seperate a lot of stuff in my house onto it's own dedicated circuit, garage bathroom, etc. Now I have done the load calculator and currently I am using about 40 amps. I have a gas stove, hot water heater, dryer, gas boiler, etc. I have done the calculator with future expectations and even if I put central air in I am looking at about a 65 amp load. My upstairs is 1200 square feet and my basement is about 900 but is not used much. I want to make sure it is ok to use these twin breakers. Also I have run out of room on the neutral bar (they actually combined some and I have to seperate it) What are my options to fix the neutral bar? Thanks for your help

Old 04-09-07, 03:01 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
> I want to make sure it is ok to use these twin breakers.

Do you have any model number or documentation on the panel? Often the number of tandem breakers you can use is encoded in the model number. For example, a panel with "3040" in the model number has 30 spaces and 40 circuits. This means you can use up to 10 tandem breakers before you hit the circuit limit. The tandem breakers should also be listed for the panel in which they are installed.

If the main panel is completely full and can accept no additional tandem breakers, then it's time for either a main panel replacement or installation of a subpanel.

> What are my options to fix the neutral bar?

You can't do anything with the neutral bar, but you can add a supplemental ground bar and move the grounds off your neutral bar to free up some space. In a main panel, this is somewhat pedantic as the ground and neutral bars are electrically connected. Neutrals must be one per screw, but grounds of the same gauge may be doubled or tripled per screw.

Old 04-09-07, 03:13 PM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
The only curpit with the ITE pushmatic breaker is very limited with twin breakers is the cost but you need to get the number from the breaker box itself it will be in the back part or side part some case behind the breaker cover the model number will tell you how many breaker you can install in that partair size.

This is my suggest add a subfeed box next to the pushmatic breaker box it will really open up some room for more additional breakers and just want to give you a head up the pushmatic is pretty old by today standard now.

{ They been around about 30 - 40 years and don't make new one any more for more than 10 years i know of }

I have few service call related to pushmatic breaker the most common curpit useally fall in two items

1] main breaker some case they will trip out early [ 100 amp 2 pole breaker is pretty pricey some case end up just get new breaker box alone ]

2] when you hook up the breakers you can not have more than one wire on each breaker termail screw [ they are not listed for two wires as i know of ]

that two most common curpit i know of but there are few more but i am not going to list all of it for now

Merci , Marc

Old 04-09-07, 03:28 PM
B
Ok I cant find a model number anywhere. It is a Gould ITE and has 18 slots (20 if you count the main) All it said inside the panel is to use the single or duplex breakers....I wanted to add about 4 or 5 of these duplex breakers.

Old 04-09-07, 03:37 PM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Ok,, i can see what you mean this is one of few older style pushmatic breaker box

eh,, unforetally with twin breaker for pushmatic are pretty pricey i havent check my wholesale centre to see the cost yet but i am sure it will be more than 35- 45 bucks a peice [ this price is just a estame only ] .

unless you can check with big box store they may specal order it other wise you may try to concat the electrical supply centre in your area they may help you with this type of breaker if not as i say before i will suggest to get a subfeed box add to the main breaker box because this way it will really open up the room there.

Merci , Marc

Old 04-09-07, 03:46 PM
B
I actually have them. I got them on Ebay. I just want to make sure they are ok to install. The label on the inside does not say how many, will I be ok adding 4 or 5 of these?

Old 04-09-07, 03:51 PM
B
Ok (I 240 pm18) is the model number by Gould ITE.

Old 04-10-07, 01:34 AM
B
Ok I figued it out I need to add exactly 5 of these. If anyone knows if this is safe to add it please let me know. The panel is (I 240 pm18) by Gould ITE. The only info it says is to use 2p duplex or 1p single. I already have the 2p duplex breakers just want to make sure it is ok to install.

Old 04-11-07, 09:58 AM
B
Ok I found a diagram inside the panel and it shows that you are allowed two twins at the last two slots. What I plan on doing is using both those slots. I currently have a 30 amp breaker that runs a single air conditioner unit. I was gonna replace that breaker with a 60 amp breaker and run a subpanel. My question is, what size subpanel do I get? Can I get another 100 panel with a 60amp breaker running to it? Also does this all sound ok to do?

Old 04-11-07, 11:37 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If you are using a 60-amp breaker to protect the feeder, then you can use any panel rated at 60 amps or higher.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: