Socket help please

Old 04-10-07, 06:27 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Socket help please

I recently changed out all the sockets and light switches in my living room and bedroom. Apparently this was a bad idea because now the sockets that my dishwasher and range don't work as well as the light switch to the patio. I don't understand why this would be since I didn't touch any of those plugs and all the ones I did change are working fine (ecept for the light switch to the patio, that I did change). I triple checked the breakers and they are all on but this is the only thing I can think to do, any help would be appriciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-07, 06:36 AM
R
If the problems are related, then apparently you did not connect the wires in the same manner as they were connected before.

You should have replaced them one at a time and then made sure that everything on the circuit still worked as before.

Go back through and check all your wiring. Look for a loose or disconnected wire.

Also, use a tester and determine whether the other receptacles have any power at all.

Old 04-10-07, 06:41 AM
B
Originally Posted by racraft View Post
If the problems are related, then apparently you did not connect the wires in the same manner as they were connected before.

You should have replaced them one at a time and then made sure that everything on the circuit still worked as before.

Go back through and check all your wiring. Look for a loose or disconnected wire.

Also, use a tester and determine whether the other receptacles have any power at all.
I've plugged a light into all the sockets I've replaced and turned on all the switches, they all work except for the light switch to the patio. So would this likely be the problem or could the sockets I replaced work and cause a break in the connection to the other sockets at the same time?

Old 04-10-07, 06:45 AM
R
Yes, a problem at a working location can cause a problem "downstream" only.

Old 04-10-07, 06:54 AM
B
Would it likely be another outlet causing the probelm or could it be in a switch. Also is there any way to tell which outlets are connected to the ones that don't work? I have a blueprint of my house if it might be on there. Thanks for the help I'm really new to all this.

Old 04-10-07, 07:03 AM
R
You should, of course, already know what is on this circuit. You should know what is on EVERY circuit in your house. You should have determined this shortly after you moved in and BEFORE you attempted to do this work. Not only is this information very valuable right now, it could save your life some day.

The problem could be at any location on the circuit. It could be at a switch, at a receptacle, at an appliance, or at a junction box. Since you believe it happened as a result of your changes, it is likely at one of the location you changed.

When you make your checks, move any back stabbed connections to the screw terminals. Make sure that each connection is tight and secure. Look for any loose or unconnected wires. Verify that all wires are connected to the proper terminals.

Old 04-10-07, 11:47 AM
W
Received 12 Votes on 11 Posts
Circuits

Reset all the breakers by turning them off and then on. Look for a tripped GFCI receptacle.

Old 04-10-07, 03:01 PM
B
Originally Posted by Wirepuller38 View Post
Reset all the breakers by turning them off and then on. Look for a tripped GFCI receptacle.
It looks like we only have one GFCI receptacle in the house and that's in the room that was converted from a garage. Ok well I should have mapped the circuits before I started and I'm going to certainly do so now but is there any way to tell what circuit those two are on with the power not going to them? And will the voltage on the switches and outlets on that circuit be lower than normal?

Old 04-10-07, 03:12 PM
J
Originally Posted by Benc View Post
And will the voltage on the switches and outlets on that circuit be lower than normal?
Yes, it is very likely that the voltage on the circuits that are not working will be Zero.

Sorry I had to get that in..

It is a good posibility that in the back of one of the boxes you opened a wire has come loose in a wire nut. You need to check all of the connections in all of the boxes. I would start with the switch that is not working.

I also want to reccomend that after you get past this experince you buy a book on residential wiring and read up a bit. Home electrical work is easy enough to do, but not without a bit of study and a good understanding of what is going on in an electrical circuit.

Old 04-11-07, 05:57 PM
B
Well it was a loose wire in a socket although not the one I thought it was, nor any one that would, to me, logically make sense. This was just for the range and the light switch that wouldn't work. Stupid me didn't realize that the dishwasher is controlled by a switch. Thanks for all the help

Old 04-12-07, 06:26 AM
J
Received 185 Votes on 164 Posts
I hope you have a gas range, because an electric range and lights should not be on the same circuit.