avoiding an EMT offset bend

Old 04-10-07, 06:48 PM
D
ddr
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
avoiding an EMT offset bend

I need to create some offset bends with 1/2" and 3/4" EMT to compensate for when two 2x8 joists overlap each other where they rest on a support beam. After mangling a few pieces of innocent conduit, Iíve decided that creating offset bends is something to learn another time...

Is it legal to use pieces of 2x4 as spacers on one joist so I can run the conduit straight along without an offset? If so, is there a maximum distance allowed between spacers?

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-07, 06:56 PM
J
conduit must be supported within 3 foot of the box and every 10 foot after.

Old 04-10-07, 06:56 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
yes, you can build a support as you described.

the conduit must be securely fastened (that's more than simply supporting it) at least every 10 feet. It also needs to be fastened within 3 feet of a box or tubing termination.

btw; we can help teach conduit bending 101 if you do want to give it another shot.

didn't mean to sound like I was correcting jwhite. I didn't even see his post before I posted but the code does list it as securely fastened.

Old 04-10-07, 07:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
We can teach you, or you can pick up a copy of Ugly's and they give a pretty good primer of making offsets, takeups, etc. It can be frustrating at first, but once you catch on, it isn't really that bad.

Old 04-10-07, 07:06 PM
J
offset bending 101.

Whenever possible use 30 deg bend because the multiplier is 2.

Use an Ideal, or Greenly bender cause when the conduit is on the floor, handle streight up is 30 deg.

Old 04-10-07, 10:07 PM
D
ddr
Thanks guys. At least I know I can use spacers if it comes to that.

I had downloaded some bending instructions (I wonít say from where) which seemed pretty straight forward. It has shrinkage and distance between bends charts and steps 1 through 4 seem logical enough: calculating distance, angle of bend, marking the conduit, making the first bend of xļ, etc., but steps 5 and 6 seem crazy to me. What do you think?

(after making first bend):

ď5. Leave the bender on the raceway and pick up both the raceway and the bender and stand the bender handle on the floor. Then slide the bender back to the second mark and roll the raceway 180ļ and place the benderís arrow on the second mark.

6. Now place your hand and armpit on the raceway and bend another [xļ] angle on the raceway at the arrow.Ē

Maybe this is the right way to do it, but I donít see how to keep the handle from sliding out, or keep the EMT from kinking since itís not being rolled between the floor and the benderís track, or how to get enough leverage between my ďhand and armpit.Ē

If you folks have a better way to do it (or can explain how to make the above method work), Iím all ears.

As always, thanks for your help.

Old 04-11-07, 05:15 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Rather than doing the armpit thing, I just let the excess, or previously bent conduit stick out over a drop off such as a dock opening, do the flip and make the opposite bend. The only reason they suggest using your armpit is because you don't have three arms, three hands and your tongue doesn't stick out of the left side of your mouth when you do it.

Old 04-11-07, 07:57 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I have had some conduit that is stiff and subject to kinking and I have had softer conduit that is verysmooth bending.

With 1/2 inch I often roll the pipe over as directed, place the end (pipe end) of the bender on the floor (slippery surfaces can be dangerous) and simply use my hands to form the pipe over the bender. You don;t need much leverage to bend 1/2 inch. Put your foot sideways and let the bender angle into your foot. It takes a bit of practice but isn;t hard once you figure out where the bender wants to slide to. It does take a bit of control to keep the pipe from slipping out of the bender though. Just take your time.

3/4; similar but it takes a bit more effort.

I wouldn;t worry too much about the shrinkage unless you are in a tight spot.
You can make your bends where they do not need to be exact and things work just fine.