Rewiring to Service Panel

Old 04-10-07, 10:26 PM
Rewiring to Service Panel

My cabin, built in 1955, has a service panel outside of the house, next to the meter. This service panel has the main disconnect shared with the other breakers. Over time, I plan to replace the old ungrounded 14-2 wire with 12-2 grounded wire back to the service panel. The existing 14-2 wire is run in the crawl space and then disappears into a hole drilled into the subfloor. Then, in the service panel, red and white wires come out from knockouts in the back of the service panel to the breaker and the neutral bar. That leaves me to believe that inside the wall, the black and white wires from the crawl space are connected to the red and white wires to the service panel.

So whatís my best course of action to rewire back to the service panel? Cut a hole in the kitchen wall to gain access from behind, or call an electrician and have him remove the service panel to get access from the front? Note that all of the knockouts in the bottom of the service panel have been taken by the newer circuits, so I canít bypass the issue of dealing with whatís inside the wall.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-07, 04:11 AM
Splices outside of a junction box, and hiding/buring a junction box inside a wall is a no-no. This has to be corrected regardless of what is required. From your explanation, it sounds like you will need access to the panel from inside anyhow, so cutting access is not a bad thing.

Old 04-11-07, 10:22 PM
There are about eight pairs of red and white wires that come into the service panel from the knockouts in the back. I believe these all are spliced to the original wiring as I mentioned in my original post, as the newer circuits for the A/C, etc., come from the knockouts in the bottom of the service panel.

What I forgot to mention is that there is a piece of plywood between the back of the service panel and the exterior siding of the house. Could it be that there used to be a fuse box or something else there that was covered up with the plywood before a new service panel was placed over it? If so, would I be better off removing the service panel and accessing the wall from the outside, rather than opening the kitchen wall?

Old 04-12-07, 03:50 AM
When mounted on the inside, the panel is to be mounted on wood(plywood), not sure what is required outside, generally not allowed here.

Old 04-16-07, 10:07 PM
Ultimately, I will do the right thing, which is to rip open the kitchen wall and rewire the eight original circuits that have the splices hidden inside the wall.

But in the meantime, it will be easier for me to rewire some of these circuits directly to the panel, bypassing the mess inside the wall. That would leave some "dead" wire inside the walls, is this OK? If so, I would propose that on the one end of the dead wire, I would cap the ends with wire nuts and leave in a junction box. But is it allowed to put wire nuts on the other ends in the main panel?

Old 09-05-07, 10:33 PM
I finally got around to cutting a hole in the kitchen drywall, as described in the earlier posts, here's a picture of what I see:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/1317760569/in/set-72157601853611733/

Here is the view of the service panel from the outside of the house:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/1317762255/in/set-72157601853611733/

So it looks like here's what happened. The fuse box was originally inside the wall but accessible from the outside. The service drop went in through the roof and into the fuse box. Then the breaker panel was added in front of the fuse box, with a new service drop on the outside of the house. Since the original home runs inside the fuse box were not long enough to reach the breakers, pigtails were added to get the extra length to reach the breakers.

I punched out a knockout in the fuse box and verified that there's nothing coming into the fuse box from above. Therefore, I plan to cut the conduit for the old service drop and then pry out the fuse box from behind. I already removed the screws and it looks like it will pull out.

Does that sound like a good plan?

Also, is there any harm in reusing the old service drop conduit to get new NM home runs up into the attic?