dumb question (Plaster Ears)

Old 04-11-07, 10:05 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
dumb question (Plaster Ears)

On both reseptacles and light switches there are two circles on the top and bottom, right next to the mounting bolts. They look sort of like a pair of Mickey Mouse ears. What are they called and what are they for? Also, am I ok to reove them since they project beyond the edges of the box and make it harder to install sheetrock over them?

NJ

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-07, 10:34 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 85 Votes on 75 Posts
Leave them - they keep you from screwing the receptacle or switch too far into the box.

Old 04-12-07, 02:18 AM
J
Like mitch said. Most people put the sheetrock on first.

Old 04-12-07, 04:00 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I agree. If they aren't energized yet, remove them and push the wires back in the boxes so you can rotozip the box holes out, then reinstall with the mouse ears protruding over the sheetrock.

Old 04-12-07, 04:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I believe the term is plaster ears.
I'll concur. DO NOT cut the sheetrock out around them. Remove the devices, cut precisely around the boxes, and re-install the devices.

Old 04-12-07, 04:43 AM
R
The ears are removable, but for mounting to a traditionally installed in wall box, you leave the ears intact. They act to keep the device (receptacle or switch) mounted flush with the surface of the wall.

You remove the ears when mounting to an old work box or to a surface mount box.

Old 04-12-07, 05:08 AM
N
This is NEW work. I believe the inspector wants to see all the receptacles and switches installed, no? I thought that was standard. And since they want to see all the wiring, the inspection must be before the sheetrock is up.
NJ

Old 04-12-07, 05:21 AM
R
There are typically two inspections done, at least for large jobs. The first is with no walls up and the wires run. This inspection verifies proper running of the wires through the joists, etc. The second "final" inspection is done after the walls are up and the devices connected.

However, you really need to talk with the inspector to find out exactly what they want (and don't want) to see at each inspection. You don't want to do a lot of work only to find out that you need to undo some of it.

Old 04-12-07, 06:41 AM
J
As others have said, the rough inspection is done with before the drywall (while everything is still visible) and without the devices installed. The inspector normally likes to see the box all set for the devices (i.e., the only loose ends of wires are the ones that will attach to the device. The devices themselves are inspected at the final inspection.

It's really hard to drywall if the devices are in place. If you're having somebody else do the drywall, they will hate you for it. And if the drywall will be texturized, you don't want all that texture on your receptacles and switches.