running wires

Old 04-12-07, 05:44 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
running wires

Ok I am gonna attack this kitchen project I have been speaking about in a week or so. I have determined that I am gonna run one line for the dishwasher, a second line for the installed microwave, a third and forth line as appliance circuits and I currently have the refridge on a dedicated 15amp line so I am just gonna leave that. My question is what are the rules for running the 4 new lines. I have to run them along 2x8s and in between the rafters in the basements drilling holes etc. My question is they will be 4 seperate circuits and they are all obviously going to the same location. It is about 35 ft from my circuit box to the kitchen. Can they all be run together, through the same holes I drill and along the 2x8's stapled together or is there a limit to how many can be run along each other? hope I am making sense to you

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-07, 06:30 AM
R
Make your holes through the 2x8s in the center and away from each end. Don't run more than two cables together.

Old 04-12-07, 06:44 AM
B
Ok sounds good and as far as where they run along the 2x8's I will run two together as you stated using the staple and putting one on top of the others. since I am running 4 lines I will have to run two of these sections, how far apart should the two sets be? Is one inch above it with the two together ok or does it have to be more?

Old 04-12-07, 06:51 AM
J
The holes you drill should be at least three inches apart. This is to avoid weakening the joist. Don't drill the holes any larger than you need to comfortably fit the cables, and make sure they are dead center top to bottom in the joist. Try not to let the edges of the hole get ragged so as to avoid possible damage to the cable when you put it through (i.e., don't push the drill too fast). I like to stay a couple of feet away from the ends and from the middle of the span. You only staple where the cables run alongside of a joist, not when running through them perpendicular. When running parallel, an inch spacing is plenty.

Old 04-12-07, 07:01 AM
B
Thanks a lot for all your help. It's well appreciated that you take the time to help us out.