Kitchen appliances on GFCI

Old 04-12-07, 10:44 AM
Kitchen appliances on GFCI

Hello,
Does the dishwasher need its own circuit (15 or 20 amp)and does it need to be GFCI?

Also does the refridgerator have to be on a GFCI circuit?
Does it need its own circuit?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-07, 10:56 AM
Neither of those devices 'need' their own circuit. However, a dedicated is desirable. Neither of those devices need GFCI protection, but it's not against code for them to have it.

Note that a built in dishwasher CANNOT be on one of the counter top (small appliance) circuits. Some people place the dishwasher on the same circuit as the garbage disposal, but if running new circuits I recommend a dedicated circuit for each.

A refrigerator is allowed on one of the small appliance circuits, but this is not ideal.

Old 04-12-07, 11:35 AM
I would not put a refrigerator on a GFI receptacle. If the GFI trips while you're away you'll lose everything in it.

Old 04-14-07, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by racraft View Post
Neither of those devices 'need' their own circuit. However, a dedicated is desirable. Neither of those devices need GFCI protection, but it's not against code for them to have it.

Note that a built in dishwasher CANNOT be on one of the counter top (small appliance) circuits. Some people place the dishwasher on the same circuit as the garbage disposal, but if running new circuits I recommend a dedicated circuit for each.

A refrigerator is allowed on one of the small appliance circuits, but this is not ideal.
Washington State requires a dedicated circuit for the diswasher.