Fear of the unknown--hardwiring a garbage disposal

Old 04-13-07, 07:42 AM
Unhappy Fear of the unknown--hardwiring a garbage disposal

I have just bought a new garbage disposal. Our house has never had one before.
I am worried about hardwiring the disposal. There is one switch (for the light over the sink) which is to the right of the sink.
I want to make it a double switch. Is that difficult for a novice?
I have put in lights in the bathroom and ceiling lights in other rooms, but, I haven't attempted anything more than that.
Could someone simply walk me through the process?
If that isn't the best solution, how would I put an outlet under the sink? That seems to be the only alternative.
Pleeeeeeease help!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-07, 08:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Your best bet is to run a new circuit from your panel to a switch located in a convenient spot in your kitchen. Then run the switched hot to the disposal.

You cannot tap off either of the small appliance circuits that serve the countertop receptacles.

I suggest a visit to your library to pick up a book about basic wiring so you have a better understanding of your task.

Old 04-13-07, 08:44 AM
Do not even contemplate a task like this until AFTER you have bought and read at least two books on home wiring. I recommend that you start with the green paperback "Wiring Simplified", available on-line or at most big box stores.

I do NOT recommend that you tap an existing circuit, except perhaps a dishwasher circuit if it is easily available under the sink. You cannot tap a counter top circuit and depending on what is on the lighting circuit, you may not be allowed to tap it. Even if you are allowed to tap it, it is not a good idea.

I recommend a new 20 amp circuit. I would run the circuit first to a box under the sink where you would install a receptacle and then to a switch on the wall (as a switch loop) where you would place the switch.

The books you buy and read will tell you what you need to know, and we can then fill in any details you are confused about.