How can i slow jigsaw down?

Old 04-16-07, 07:09 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How can i slow jigsaw down?

Hi,

Perfect, just the place i need to post this question.

I have a non-variable black & decker jigsaw, how can i slow it down?
i'm cutting pvc which melts because of blade speed.

There must be a way, of decreasing the current, given to the motor.

I can open it up, what do i need to do? Maybe use an external 12v dc or something connecting it directly to the motor?. Please there must be a simple way of slowing it down. What will be the easiest, quickest? without breacking a neck in searching for hard to find parts.

Any help i will appreciate!!

John

Thanks

John

Old 04-16-07, 07:23 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Simplest? Use a hacksaw. Or move your jigsaw through the material more slowly. It's not the speed of the saw blade that melts the PVC; it's the speed of the cutting.

Old 04-16-07, 07:29 AM
In general, simple AC motors like are probably in your jigsaw cannot be reduced in speed. Doesn't work. Frankly, it must be very old and/or very cheap to NOT be variable speed. Have you considered getting a new one?

Plexi is a little tricky to do with a jig saw because of the up-stroke. It is very easy to crack if you do not keep constant downward pressure on the material. A new, sharp, fine tooth blade and a slow feed rate may solve your issues.

Old 04-16-07, 07:58 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
A new jigsaw would be cheaper than the materials you would need to slow this one down.

Old 04-17-07, 01:05 AM
J
Hi, thanks, It's not old, i think they just still manufacture it because they sell cheap. The variable speed jigsaw's was quite expensive if your'e from my country. Thanks, i have tried moving it more slowly through the pvc, stull same result, actually worsened it for the pvc deformed more and did not "cure" to retain normal shape when cooled.

Well i think i will be trying a blade with less tooth, this pvc is not the britle type and bend's rather than crack, thanks for the replies, i would like to get a new one, it's just now this one will be lying around.

J

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: