Problems with GFI after a replumb

Old 04-13-07, 08:02 PM
Problems with GFI after a replumb

Hi everyone,

I am having some trouble with my GFI after I had my house replumbed to remove the PB pipe that was defective. Before this happened, I have had no problems with the GFI in question which is the ones for the bathrooms and outside outlets. The plumber that has done the work has gone through supposedly and checked what he did and didn't find anything. I know that they screwed straps to hold the pipe in place and this is when I noticed it. I was using the outside outlets with no problems and then that morning when they started screwing the staps in, that is when everything went downhill. I thought that the recepticle might of failed because the house is 14 years old and hadn't been replaced since it was built. I bought a new one and placed it in the wall and turned the electric back on and it tripped right off. The GFI recepticle has a seperate switch in the fuse box but that has not tripped there, only the stand alone GFI in the wall. Is there a way that I could find out where the problem is? I am sure that it has to do with the bathrooms but is there a way I can find out which one?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-07, 08:08 PM
Yes, break the circuit at each junction box until you narrow down where the problem is.

Old 04-13-07, 08:25 PM
Bob,

When you say at a junction box are you referring to the wall recepticle or boxes that are heading towards the wall?

Old 04-13-07, 08:34 PM
A junction box is any location on the circuit where the wires are spliced. Generally they are where receptacles are installed, but there could be others.

Old 04-14-07, 07:47 AM
Lead pipe in a 15 year old home? Yikes ....

Old 04-14-07, 08:44 PM
No actually it is poly pipe that as in the whole house. I had a leak above the master bedroom and leaked down the ceiling and walls while I was out of town. What a mess. I was lucky that there is a lawsuit settlement that replaces the pipe in the house and repair the damage that was done.

Old 04-14-07, 08:50 PM
Let's see...the plumber is screwing into the joists and then suddenly there is an electrical problem. I sense a screw penetrating a wire somewhere.

Old 04-14-07, 09:12 PM
I presume it is just one circuit , correct?