Help wire a Century Electric AC Motor

Old 04-15-07, 07:56 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help wire a Century Electric AC Motor

I need help wiring a Century Electric AC Motor. 1 Ph, 115V, 3/4 HP. I want to wire this motor through a switch to run my table saw. I can see where L1 and L2 come in,but not sure where the ground is on the motor.
A wiring diagram from the motor is at: http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o223/joemsewi/MotorWiringDiagram.jpg

Thanks for the help.

joemsewi

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-07, 08:22 AM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
L1 is the "hot" lead and L2 is the neutral lead. It probably would make no difference to interchange the hot and neutral.

The ground lead connects to the motor frame at any reasonably protected existing screw. Probably the easiest would be to use an eyelet-type crimp-on connector and fasten it under one of the screws that hold the cover over the connection box.

The switch you use needs to be rated for the current draw of this motor. Ideally you would use a "motor rated" switch but in reality a 20 amp rated switch would probably be okay.

Does this motor have an internal overload protector? Is it a manual or automatic reset? For safety reasons a table saw should never have an auto reset protector. If the motor does not have an internal (manually reset) overload protector then the proper manual reset motor protection switch should be used for the off/on switch.

Old 04-15-07, 11:21 AM
J
thank you for reply

Thank you for the reply. The diagram on the wire cover plate says: "Motor with thermal protector" and there is no reset button. Therefore it must be an auto reset and I will take your advice and look for a manual reset motor protection switch. There is also a ground lead going to the motor frame which I can connect my house ground to.

You have been a great help.

joemsewi

Old 04-15-07, 05:13 PM
H
motor starter

I did some research and found that Graingers has what you need. www.graingers.com Manufacturer is Square D, their part # is 2510FG1, graingers cat # is 1H385. It's a single pole manual toggle switch type starter, good up to 1 horsepower, and includes a flush mount enclosure and cover. You will also need to purchase the thermal overload element seperately. In order to choose the right one, you will need the full load amperage draw of the motor AND the motor's service factor, both of which should be on the nameplate. There are also some rules about whether the motor and the starter in the same ambient temp or not. Yours will be same temp if you mount the starter to the table saw. Wire it to break the hot leg and wire the nuetral thru to the motor. The enclosure box is metal, so make sure it is also grounded.