Converting Hardwired Kitchen Hood to Outlet for Microwave

Old 04-15-07, 05:17 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Converting Hardwired Kitchen Hood to Outlet for Microwave

We've been looking for an Over-the-Range Microwave to give us more counter space and finally found one. But when we took the hood vent down we realized that it's hardwired. All we need to do is to cut the wires and install an outlet (already bought the box and outlet ect.) inside the above cupboard. This seems REALLY easy...especially since we are just mounting the box inside the cupboard instead of into the wall. But we've hesitated for almost 4 months now because my husband doesn't want to "burn the house down!" Don't get me wrong, I'm impressed that he admits when he's met his match...but it seems to easy to pay someone to do. I've looked through dozens of dozens of websites, but I can't find anything that seems specific enough to make me feel like I know what I'm doing.

HELP?!?!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-07, 05:50 PM
You cannot use this circuit for the microwave/hood unless it is a dedicated circuit. Microwave/hood are required by their installation instructions to be on a dedicated circuit.

If the circuit is a dedicated circuit then use it. To learn how to wire a new receptacle, buy and read several books on home wiring.

If the circuit is NOT a dedicated circuit then do not use it. Instead you must properly and safely either abandon or terminate the existing wiring and install a brand new circuit all the way from the panel. To learn how to wire a new receptacle, buy and read several books on home wiring.

If your husband and you are uncomfortable with this then call an electrician.

Electricity can and does kill people and start fires.

Old 04-19-07, 08:36 AM
well

ok lets say it is a dedicated circut...? And they had run 3wire for the vent.. Dont know why but ok. I do not have a pair of strippers so I cant tell the wire gauge to an exact but It appears to be #12 this is supposed to be a 15amp circut so I can splice the #12 with #14 to make it into the cabinet for the recep.? I know i can go from big to little but not little to big.

Old 04-19-07, 08:42 AM
First determine if this is a dedicated circuit or not. You should already know this anyway.

No, do NOT attach 14 gage wire to 12 gage wire. If a circuit is a 20 amp circuit continue it that way. A circuit for a microwave hood can be a 15 amp or a 20 amp circuit.

Note that if you did make a splice, the splice would have to be permanently accessible.

Do the right thing. Run a new circuit for the microwave.

Old 04-19-07, 10:20 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Receptacle

Install the receptacle in the back of the cabinet above the microwave and drill a hole large enough for the cord's plug to pass through the bottom of the cabinet. Yor microwave should have a template to use in locatiing the hole for the cord to pass through. Good luck with your project.