Removed kitchen soffit, now must re-route cables

Old 04-16-07, 07:06 AM
Removed kitchen soffit, now must re-route cables

Halfway through this kitchen remodel now. Saturday I removed the second cupboard soffit from the kitchen wall/ceiling. All the framing came out fine. I knew I would run into a lot of electrical circuits in the soffit, and sure enough, there's probably 10 cables that run through it. Most of them feed switches and outlets on the kitchen wall (it's the sink wall, so it has switches for 2 different overhead lights, the disposal, and 2 duplex recepticles). There also appears to be a few circuits feeding the adjoining living room light and outlets.

Seeing how these cables were run through the soffit, and NOT through the top plate (as I think they should have been run), what is the best way to remedy this situation? The idea is to put new drywall up where the soffit used to be. Most of the cables have little to no slack available, but some do.

I hate to think about it, but short of running these circuits all-new from the service panel...I will just have to terminate them in the attic and run new cable down through the top plate and into the switch and outlet boxes. This method would result in probably 6 or 8 junction boxes nailed to the trusses in the attic, with new wire coming out and down into the wall.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? It's tedious work, and it means lots of junction boxes in the attic...but I don't see an alternative. But you might!

Thanks very much!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-07, 07:18 AM
Everything you are currently considering is acceptable. Just make sure that all splices are in junction boxes, and that the junction boxes are covered and remain permanently accessible. There is no magic solution. You're on the right track.

Old 04-16-07, 08:15 AM
Wonderful! I don't mind the work, and I know how to do it...which helps.

I plan to use regular blue, round j-boxes with the flat screw-on cover. I know I can use larger j-boxes and put in more than 1 circuit splice, but if each has it's own box, it will be less confusing down the road.

Thanks for the confidence boost!

Old 04-16-07, 08:46 AM
And you might want to use a permanent marker on the cover of the box to idenify what exactly is being spliced inside. Don't forget to staple all the cables with 8 inches of each box--but not too tightly.