Dimmer Switch Replacement

Old 04-16-07, 08:42 AM
Question Dimmer Switch Replacement

I just replaced two round push type dimmer switches with dimmers that have both a slide and a toggle switch. Both are single pole and are in a box that has a third switch (toggle), that I did not change.

One of the new dimmers work as it should, the other does not. On that one the lights can only be turned off by the toggle and not by the slide (the lights stay dimly lighted).

It seems like I purchased a faulty dimmer, but I wanted to see if anyone had some other insight before I pull it out and try a new one.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-07, 08:47 AM
You might want to check that you installed a light dimmer....just recently I purchased two dimmers from a big box...one of the dimmers worked and the other worked as you described your problem; lights very dim and only controlled on or off by the wand. The bad dimmer turned out to be a ceiling fan VS switch that was apparently mis-stocked....pays to read the package lableing.

Old 04-16-07, 07:39 PM
Thanks for the idea

Thanks for the idea. I checked on that and they were both same Leviton Slide Dimmers No. 6633

Old 04-17-07, 08:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
On dimmers such as that one, with a dimmer slider AND a toggle switch, all the ones I have tried never shut off completely when just dimming them. I can't say whether it's by design or by the way they are manufactured, but I've seen the dimmer will dim from 100% to maybe 5%, then the only way to get to 0% (off) is by using the switch.

Maybe the light(s) connected to the switch that you can dim all the way off are slightly different, and require a bit more voltage to actually glow versus the other lamps.

Old 04-17-07, 12:23 PM
Good call Zorfdt. You identified the obvious when we all missed it.

Old 04-17-07, 01:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I guess there are benefits of not being as smart as all of you.