Attic Fans

Old 04-16-07, 11:55 AM
Attic Fans

Will 2 Attic fans be Ok to run on one 20 AMP breaker? Or do I need dedicate the second on a new breaker? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-07, 11:58 AM
By "attic fan", do you mean a fan the blows attic air to the outside through the roof, or a fan that blows inside air into the attic through the ceiling of the upper level? Do you have the electrical specs? CFM? Amps?

In almost any case, however, you should be able to run both on one 20-amp circuit assuming that there is nothing else on the circuit.

Old 04-16-07, 02:59 PM
Attic fan as in blow air outside. Currently the present one is not working. Probably old, like the house. And currently there is a 15 AMP for it, and it alone. I am converting my garage soon and need to account for ventilation over the new room. So no, I have no specs for the units at the moment. How big would I have to go in the crawl attic of the garage. The ceiling will be about 19'x10', and the roof extends up about another 5 ft at the peak. If the original one is truely shot, I was planning on replacing it with a similar unit.

As long as it could be done, since I only have 1 slot available for the new addition.

Related question: How many outlets/lights should I use on one breaker. I know a little about wattage and add the watts together if everything was on. Maximum case scenario here, 5 bedroom wall outlets, 1 overhead ceiling fan, and 2 outside outlets on a 15 or 20 AMP breaker.

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-16-07, 03:05 PM
A 15-amp breaker can handle up to 1800 watts. When supplying general-purpose receptacles, nobody is quite sure what might be plugged in.

In most cases, there are no rules that must be followed, but generally you can put about 8 outlets on a 15-amp circuit. If you have some particular knowledge of what the outlets are going to be used for, you can go up or down from that based on your knowledge.

So you're example case sounds reasonable.

Old 04-17-07, 03:31 AM
Thanks for that. How much more would I be able to handle on a 20AMP breaker. I'm just concerned about useing the outside outlets during the summer months for yard work and such. Things like trimmers, blowers, edgers, and so on.