Changing dimmer switch to toggle switch

Old 07-16-07, 06:49 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Changing dimmer switch to toggle switch

Hello,

Here is the scenario...

Bedroom light was connected to a wall dimmer switch.

I have changed out ceiling light to ceiling fan with light.

I would now like to change dimmer switch on wall with 3 way toggle switch (no dimmer) that would operate ceiling fan/light.

Inside switch box on wall is...

a bundle of 3 white wires capped and tucked in back

3 ground wires connected to dimmer switch

3 black wires bundled and capped with one black wire coming out and connected to the dimmer switch

one single black wire attached to dimmer switch

I need advice/info on how to disconnect dimmer and connect wires to toggle switch properly so both ceiling fan and light will operate.

Thanks!

Old 07-16-07, 06:54 AM
R
To complete the picture and get the best advice, you should also have told us the wiring at the ceiling.

Please clarify what you want to install as a new switch. A three way switch means that you will put another three way switch somewhere else, to be able to control the fan and light from two locations. However, I do not think this is what you want. I suspect that you want a dual switch to be able to control the fan and light separately. Please clarify.

Old 07-16-07, 08:56 AM
B
Thanks for your quick response...

The wiring in the ceiling was standard. Black to black, white to white and green to green (ground). No other wires in ceiling.

There is no other switch to operate other than the one in the room. I was going to use the 3 way toggle becasue I had it on hand, but do not need to use it and won't if it will cause any problems. The switch will provide power to the light and fan, and the pull chains will govern which one goes on. In other words, only one switch for both fan and light. The chains on the fan and light should suffice for power to each. Do I only need a single pole switch then, and if so, how do I attach them (one black wire to brass screw, one to each, etc).

Thanks for your help.

Old 07-16-07, 09:00 AM
R
You only need a single pole switch. A single pole switch will have two connections, plus a ground. The same wires that attach to the dimmer attach to the single pole switch.

You can use three way switch if you have it. You will use the common terminal and one of the traveler terminals. You will also use the ground. The second traveler will be unused. The two travelers are the terminals of the same color. The common is the odd color terminal. The ground terminal is, of course, the green one. You will have to experiment with which traveler terminal you use (or simply turn the switch 180 degrees) in order to have the switch oriented so that up is on and down is off, since a three way switch is not marked on and off.

Old 07-23-07, 09:48 AM
B
Thumbs up Had a chance to do yesterday...

and the single pole switch worked perfectly. Thanks again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: