200amp outdoor pole

Old 04-18-07, 09:37 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
200amp outdoor pole

i am adding a 200 amp service to my farm, the pole is located off to one side of the property and i was wondering if anyone had some pics of a outdoor meter and breaker box mounted on a pole. i want to get some ideas of what the best way to build one would be, as far as placement of the meter can and breaker box. thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-07, 11:49 AM
Around here, they would install a "current meter" setup, which has a small meterbase on the pole with a conduit running up, which connects to a ring transformer which the supply lines from the utility pass through.

Otherwise it may be a tall/narrowish unit that mounts to the pole and has a through meter. The meter will be on the top hals, and a disconnect on the bottom, under a door. You might even be able to get a model that has a manual generator transfer also, or add that to either.

Old 04-19-07, 08:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
The power company engineer should be able to tell you what the structural and height requirements are. Is it mounted on their pole or a pole you supply? Usually they require at least a 4x6 treated post if you supply the pole. The meter will need to be about 5' off the ground, but the exact height is up to the power company.

Old 04-20-07, 05:24 AM
Look up mobile home power poles, as the meter and box are 99.9% of the time mounted on poles detached from the home.

You can probably by one premade from a local mobile home dealer for less than you will build it yourself for and you can be pretty sure that it will meet code requirements.

Old 04-20-07, 09:13 AM
I agree with Pendragon. A mobile home pole would give the requirements for an unbraced meter pole (as opposed to a "temporary pole" or "sawpole" installation which would require bracing).