Porch Wiring question

Old 04-19-07, 08:00 AM
Porch Wiring question

Hello,

I just joined this informative forum and have a question of my own to ask.

I am in the process of getting a porch built on top of my deck and have planned for 4 recessed lights, a fan and two outlet plugin boxes. (Please pardon my technical ignorance).

Now, the only places I can steal electricity to power these up are, an existing outside light on the wall (which I am planning to remove) and an outside electrical box with two plugins. The are pretty close to each other, location wise.

If I am planning to use no bigger than 40 watt bulbs on each of the recessed lights, would I be able to power all 4 of them by wiring them to the outside light receptacle which I am planning to remove?

Also, would I be able to run a fan and two electrical outlets (to plug in my two wireless speakers) from the existing two output electrical box that I am planning to steal electricity from?

My contractor is going to be doing all the work but he is a building contractor and not a licensed electrical technician. I just wanted to run this by the forum before he starts work.

My house is only two years old.

Thanks much.

Paul

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-07, 08:04 AM
Do not let your contractor do this work. That would be... not a god idea. Even if it's legal, it's unwise. He should know better than to do this type of work. You should know better than to allow him to do this work. I recommend that you have your contractor hire an electrician for this work.

Whether or not these circuits can be used depends on what else is on the circuits. Even if they can be used I recommend against it. I recommend a new circuit for the entire porch directly from the panel.

Old 04-19-07, 08:30 AM
Thank you for the suggestion. I will do as you said and hire an electrical contractor to do the wiring.

Thanks