receptacle near Hot Water Radiator

Old 04-19-07, 10:36 AM
receptacle near Hot Water Radiator

Ok as you might know I am in the process of re doing my kitchen. I have yet another question (I believe this is the last, for this project at least!) I have a half wall that seperates the kitchen and dining room with a breakfast nook (no back splash, just a flat countertop) Below that is a long hot water radiator the old big cast iron that is recessed in the actual wall. The radiator runs the whole length of the wall and along side the refridge that is in the corner. Now I am aware of the 12ft or 6ft in the matter that there is a door way to the dining room. I am also aware that I have to have one because it is a breakfast nook. My only option to install it would be to the left the radiator between the doorway and the radiator. The receptacle would be exactly 8 inches from the radiator. My first question is, is this safe to do this being only 8 inches? I have seen through out the house they are installed next to them but they all seem to be about 16 inches away.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-07, 11:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
8" should be enough clearance. I've never heard of any code that stipulates any distance. You'd just want to keep it far enough away that the constant heat wouldn't cause problems with any wires plugged in. If it were me, I'd keep it 2-3" minimum clearance. 8" should be no problem.

-Mike

Old 04-19-07, 11:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
8" is just fine.