garbage disposal

Old 04-19-07, 12:36 PM
garbage disposal

I want to wire a garbage disposal with a switch next to the sink controlling an outlet under the sink.I have run a 14/2 dedicated circuit.Should I feed the switch first and have it control a GFCI or should I put in a ground fault breaker that feeds the switch which will control a 15 amp outlet?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-07, 12:41 PM
Neither. A garbage disposal does not need to be GFCI protected.

I would have used a 20 amp circuit and 12 gage wire. I would run power first to the receptacle, and then run a switch loop to the switch.

Old 04-19-07, 12:58 PM
My concern is the switch being close to the sink.Don't need any GFCI protection?

Old 04-19-07, 01:03 PM
Switches do not need GFCI protection.

Old 04-19-07, 01:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
GFCI devices protect against hot-to-ground currents. If you were to touch a GFCI protected hot wire while standing in a puddle of water, the GFCI would trip. (now kids, don't try this at home - trust the UL that it actually works)

Since switches are plastic, and are surrounded by a cover plate, there's no way for you to come in contact with a hot wire while using a switch, there is no need to use a GFCI on a switch. The real danger is dropping your hair dryer or toaster oven into the sink. (or digging a slice of toast out of the toaster with a knife).