hanging 4' flourescents in garage

Old 04-20-07, 09:29 PM
hanging 4' flourescents in garage

Simplified Wiring is unclear to me about how I may hang or mount and wire my 4' fluorescent in my garage.

Yesterday when I purchased a 4' fluorescent fixture I also picked up some chains to hang it from a garage joist. Do I have to wire a plug & cord to the ballast and mount a receptacle and box to the joist or wall to plug my fixture into?

My first thought was to run the 12/2 right to the inside of the fixture but if it is hanging on chains it just doesn't seem up to code but I'm to ignorant to determine this for sure.

If the fixture where mounted directly to the joist (not hanging on chains) would I then be permitted to run 12/2 directly to the fixture?

Thanks
Aitch

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-07, 03:26 AM
You can do it either way.

The two parts of the code of concern are: First having a disconnect means within site of the equipment. You certainly have a wall switch in the room for the lights. That is satisified.

The next is NM cable being run exposed. You are allowd to run NM exposed where it is not subject to physical damage. Unless you plan to use a fork lift in your garage alot, these lights should not be subject to physical damage. In addition the light fixture should remain lower than the wire feeding it, so it will certainlly get smacked before the wireing will.

Old 04-21-07, 05:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've wired these type of lights in 2 shops of my own and helped in several shops of friends. IMO it is easier to mount the lights directly to the rafters [be sure to use a long enough screw if drywalled]

Old 04-21-07, 08:45 AM
Great! I'll wire direct to the hanging fixture for now as I want to see how the adequate the lighting is, how it works in the colder temps, etc. I think ultimately I'll settle on of different configuration for a permanent solution but this gives me the start I most prefer.

Old 04-21-07, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by Aitch View Post
If the fixture where mounted directly to the joist (not hanging on chains) would I then be permitted to run 12/2 directly to the fixture?
Make sure the fixtures are rated for flush installation.

Old 04-21-07, 02:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Just remember that, in colder climates where the garage temp may be in the 30's in the winter, they will come on like candles and slowly climb to full output. Going green is great, as long as you don't spill red because you couldn't see clearly.