Cable run questions

Old 04-23-07, 04:10 AM
Cable run questions

1. Can I run (3) 12-2wg & (1) 12-3wg through a 7/8" hole in a double 2x4 top plate? Any chance I could make that (4) 12-2 & (1) 12-3? They are for bathroom lights & exhaust fan.

2. Can I staple the cables side by side running up the center of the stud? I was going to staple the (4) cables in pairs, run along side each other.

Thanks,
Dan

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-07, 07:05 AM
1. Don't cram the wires in. Why drill one large hole when two or more smaller holes work better?

2. Use stackers, available at your home center.

Old 04-23-07, 07:46 AM
1. It's 107 year old remodel. Why they framed some of this crap the way they did is beyond me, but I only have a couple inches to get my wires through the top plate into the attic area. Not enough room for another hole. I think I can route one of the wires another way, so would (2) 12-2 & (1) 12-3 be ok in a 7/8" hole?

2. I'll look for some.

Thanks,
Dan

Old 04-23-07, 10:22 AM
you'll know when you've put too many wires through an opening. As John said, don't cram them through. They should each have a little breathing room. If you are concerned, do a test on a scrap of 2x4, and run your wires through that first.

This past weekend I did a lot of this type of work (kitchen remodel, re-routing cables through the top-plate)...and a 1" hole is plenty of room for (1) 12/3wg, and (3) 14/2wg. This also depends on the NM cable you are running. In my house, the original cable has a very thick jacket, and relatively thick wire insulation. The new NM "romex" I put in is very slim by contrast...

Old 04-23-07, 04:27 PM
It is time to buy a 1 1/4 in drill bit and some nail plates.

As already said use stackers, do not staple the wires up beside eachother.

Old 04-24-07, 03:36 AM
I ran one cable another way & tried running just three cables through the hole last night & they went fine & are not crammed in by any means, so I think that will be fine.

I started another thread with a cable stacker question.

Thanks for the help again!
Dan