New dryer, old dryer 220 receptacle

Old 04-25-07, 02:27 AM
New dryer, old dryer 220 receptacle

I moved into an apartment where the dryer power receptacle is a three pronged receptacle. My dryer has a 4-pronged plug.

I received two suggestions.
1) change the receptacle to a 4-pronged receptacle (not under my control - would need to get the apartment complex to do this)
2) change the power cord on the dryer to one with a 3-pronged plug.

My questions:
a) What is the best solution?
b) Is it safe to just change the dryer power cord from a 4-prong to a 3-prong plug (assuming it is done by someone who knows how to wire it correctly to the dryer)?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-07, 03:45 AM
Newer dryers require a neutral conductor. Get the management to update the cable/plug, they have to do it sooner or later. They can change back to an old plug from a new, but not the other way around.

Old 04-25-07, 04:31 AM
Answers:

a) Have the building rewired to be four wire with a four prong receptacle.

b) This is legal and is allowed. Three wire connections were allowed for many years and are allowed to continue to be used. They are not allowed for new wiring.

Old 04-25-07, 07:37 AM
Thanks!

Appreciate the helpful and timely replies from everyone.

Old 04-25-07, 07:41 AM
To summarize:

If the existing wiring is three wire, then you (properly) change the dryer cord to three wire or you rewire the circuit to be four wire.

If the existing wiring is four wire then you (properly) change the dryer cord to four wire.

Old 04-25-07, 08:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
To add on Bob's response -- when you change the cordset on the dryer to 3-prong, you will also have to attach a bonding screw or strap. The dryer's instruction manual should have both 3-wire and 4-wire installation instructions. If you don't have the original manual, check the manufacturer's website. Getting the bonding strap installed correctly is very important for the safe operation of the dryer.