Old 04-25-07, 12:36 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

i have recently removed a wall in my house that was built in '68. The wiring is the old 2 wire black and white. I am trying to add more wiring to the existing in order to move the wall outlets to different locations. I would also like to ground these new outlets. How can I ground the outlets when there is no ground wire in the old wiring? I was told by an electrician that if i "loop" the black wire at the outlet that i can use a jumper wire and ground that. Is this possible or will I have to run a new wire from the panel that has the white-black-ground and bypass the old. What is the easiest and still safe approach?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-07, 12:51 PM
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Central New York State
Posts: 13,973
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You can do nothing by using the existing wiring that you have. Do not ever get advice from anyone that tells you otherwise.

You need to run a new wire from the panel. Abandon the existing wiring (cut out as much as possible) and use a new cable of the appropriate size from the panel to the first receptacle, then to each receptacle in turn.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: