2 receptacle Questions

Old 04-26-07, 06:59 AM
2 receptacle Questions

I am redoing a bedroom and have 2 questions.

1. I have Hot Water Baseboard Heat. Is there a min height that a recep needs to be above the baseboard?

2. I am also adding more receps and I believe that they need to be placed within 6ft of each other around the room. Is this correct? What about when you walk in the door. Does the recep need to be within 6ft. of the door or closer?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-07, 08:58 AM
ddr
I don’t know about the baseboard heater issue, but the basic requirements for receptacles are as follows:

1. There must be a receptacle within 6’ on either side of a doorway.

2. There must be a receptacle at least every 12’ of unbroken wall space, which includes going around corners, so that no point is more than 6’ from a receptacle (in other words, no point must be more than 6’ from a receptacle – 6’ max to the right + 6’ max to the left = 12’ max between receptacles).

3. Any wall space 24” or wider requires a receptacle.

4. If there is no ceiling or other permanent light fixture controlled by a switch, then at least one receptacle (or the top or bottom half of one) must be controlled by a switch at the entrance to the room.

There are other rules such as for closets with sliding doors, and some local codes require a dedicated outlet for air conditioners if the house doesn’t have central A/C, but the 4 rules above are the basics.

Old 04-26-07, 10:08 AM
ddr, thanks. That is what I thought as far recep spacing goes. I don't need to worry about a switched recep since a ceiling fan is going to be installed.

Now I just need to know if there is a height requirement above the baseboards.

Old 04-26-07, 04:59 PM
There is no code for above hot water baseboards.

Old 04-27-07, 06:14 AM
Thank you