Main Circuit Breaker Dead?

Old 04-26-07, 08:28 AM
Main Circuit Breaker Dead?

I turned off the Main circuit breaker, removed the connection to one breaker that is dedicated to my A/C unit as I plan to put in new run after relocating the A/C. I have not put the new wires yet into the breaker. I turned off all the breakers to the house and then tried to turn on the main breaker but it will not travel to the on position even though I have the rest of the breakers in the off position. I suspect a dead main breaker. I appreciate a tip on how to go about replacing the main breaker?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-07, 08:48 AM
Don't do it yourself. Only a qualified person should replace a main breaker. Call an electrician.

Old 04-26-07, 01:36 PM
Mains do occasionaly malfunction, but not often.

Remember the two big fat black wires going into the main are live all the time and you can not safley chage it yourself.

Old 04-26-07, 03:53 PM
Try turning all the way to off and then back on.

Old 04-26-07, 06:02 PM
When I had my service upgraded, the electrician coordinated with the power company to turn the power off from the pole. If you do plan to do this yourself, get the power company involved.

Old 04-27-07, 06:55 AM
Thank you all for your feedback. Joed's advice was pretty close. I talekd to two electricans and one wanted 200.00 to replace it, the other told me to place the breaker hard to the OFF position and then using both hands to get to go to the ON position. This solved the problem. I have also learned that the electric co will come out to remove the lock on the meter side so that the meter can be removed which effectively cut the power to the main breaker in case one needs to replace a main breaker.