Sub Panel Question

Old 04-26-07, 08:37 AM
Sub Panel Question

Hello,
I am adding a 50amp cicuit to supply a spa, problem is my main service panel is small and there isn't space for the 50amp breaker. My thinking is to place a 100amp sub panel next to my main. I would rather place the sub panel in the room where the spa will be, but to make room for a feeder breaker in the main I will take a 2 pole 20amp breaker from the main and put it in the sub panel (this circuit feeds my kitchen). I now will have room in the main for a 100amp feeder breaker to supply the sub panel that will contain the breaker for the kitchen and a 50amp breaker for the spa. Does this make sense?

nu-guy

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-07, 09:00 AM
This is certainly one way to do this.

However, before I would add a sub panel I would consider if my main panel is appropriate. If it's not appropriate I would replace it first.

Second I would determine if tandem breakers can be used in my main panel. If so, I might use them instead of installing a sub panel.

Old 04-26-07, 09:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
> I would rather place the sub panel in the room where the spa will be

How much clearance is there in the spa-room? Could this room be considered a bathroom? If so, this location may not be a legal spot for a panel.

Old 04-26-07, 11:07 AM
Sub Panel Question

Bob, thanks for your reply, I'm having a friend (Lic. Electrian) look at my main and he agrees with you that I probably should change out the main.
Ben, it's actually going into the 2 car garage which is being finished inside (we don't park in there anyway). If I install a new main then I will put a spa sub panel in the garage. This will cost a little more, but will look a lot cleaner.