Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Running a short lighting circuit off existing 20Amp circuit good idea?

Old 04-28-07, 12:48 PM
C
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts

I want to add a light fixture inside a bedroom closet that doesn't currently have one. The easiest access I have to any existing circuit is a junction box just on the other side of the closet wall that is providing power (over a 20Amp ciruit) to an outlet in the bedroom.

Does the fact that it's a 20 amp circuit mean I should run 12 gauge wires to the light fixture? Or does the fact that this extension to the exiting circuit will only ever be powering a single small bulb mean 14 gauge wire is fine?

Also is it required that I use conduit on the run from the junction box, up the wall inside a hallway closet, punching through the wall near the ceiling into the bedroom closet, and extending a foot or two along the wall to the pull string fixture?

Old 04-28-07, 12:57 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You MUST use 12 gage wire on a 20 amp circuit. It does not matter what the load is, you must use 12 gage wire.

You only need conduit if it is required where you live. Some areas of the country, Chicago for example, require conduit. Most areas do not have this requirement.

Be careful. Closet lights are extremely restrictive as to where they can be and the required distances from the walls, etc., and as to the type of lights that can be installed. If you don't fully understand the rules, you probably will make a mistake.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: