Switch Question

Old 04-30-07, 06:59 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Switch Question

I need a few pushbutton switches for a project and I need momentary contact switches that will run small motors while finger pressure is applied and the motor will stop when finger pressure is removed. I ran across some DPDT rocker switches in the Allied catalog that look like one switch would work to control two motors.

There are several types of the switches, described in the catalog as "on-off-on" "on-none-on" and (on)-off-(on). Can anyone tell me what the difference is between "on-off-on" and "(on)-off-(on)" with the parenthesis ()?

Thanks,

Bob

Old 04-30-07, 07:27 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
I think I vaguely recall the parenthesis are to indicate the momentary nature. So an on-off-on is a 3-position switch; the switch will remain in any of the 3 positions. An (on)-off-(on) switch will stay in the off position and is spring loaded so you have to hold it to either of the (on) positions.
An on-off-(on) switch would be momentary to only one on position.

You may want to call Allied's customer service to confirm.

-Mike

Old 04-30-07, 10:31 AM
B
Mike

Thanks and you are correct. I called Allied and they didn't know and referred me to an 800 number of one of the switch manufacturers where I promptly got lost in the voice mail system. I finally found an explanation that verified exactly what you said in another catalog - Sandy's Electronic Parts.

Before posting here I tried Google which usually works, but not this time.

Thanks again,

Bob

Old 04-30-07, 05:16 PM
J
What size motors?
You may need motor rated switches.

Why double throw. Dont you want one switch per motor?

Do you want latching or non latching?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: