two neutrals on seperate circuits

Old 04-30-07, 05:39 AM
two neutrals on seperate circuits

I have a weird situation and not sure what if any are my options I have at my front door two light switches. One works the inside living room lights the other one goes outside and feed outdoor lights and outlets. There is a three way wire that goes from the receptacle box down to a junction box in the basement. At the junction the Black wire continues on to other outlets and the red goes on to the outdoor lights and receptacles. I really want to make the outdoor side on its own circuit. I wanted to run down a new feed into the outlet box upstairs. My question to begin with is can the three way wire have two seperate circuits on it. I would still need that black feed to go down to the downstairs junction box and continue on the circuit to other outlets. So basically the black would be the original circuit and the red would still go outside but be on a seperate circuit. Is this allowed? My second question then if it is allowed is how do I handle the neutral. I will have a new neutral coming into the upstairs junction box and that will be a seperate circuit where do I connect that or run that? And then as far as the basement neutral that neutral will be on the original circuit. Please let me know if this is all possible. I guess my biggest confusion is the neutrals and what to do with them.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-07, 05:43 AM
I am having a hard time understanding your post. But as I read it, you have an existing circuit that serves the living room lights and the outdoor lights and receptacles.

You are wondering if you can somehow separate out the outside portion of this circuit.

To do so you need to replace the feed for this circuit from the panel to the switch box with a three wire (plus ground) feed. At the circuit breaker panel this would need to be connected as a proper multi-wire circuit.

Old 04-30-07, 05:57 AM
That would be a long run from the box. So I guess you cant have more than two neutrals from two different circuits connected together? I guess I am gonna have to figure something else out.

Old 04-30-07, 06:05 AM
You cannot share the neutral at a point after the main panel, no.

Old 04-30-07, 06:40 AM
Speaking of neutrals. In my box when I installed new circuits the other day I noticed that they had two sets of 4 neutrals bonded together under one screw under the neutral/ground bar. If it is my understanding this is a no no and that they need to be seperate and that it is only acceptable to do this with the grounds. I went ahead and seperated each one and put each one under its own screw. Am I correct about this and did I do the right thing?

Old 04-30-07, 07:00 AM
You are correct. Neutral wires cannot be combined under a single screw. Ground wires may be combined, but only if the panel allows this.