Pool Pump Wiring Question

Old 05-03-07, 09:42 AM
Pool Pump Wiring Question

Hello to all-
20A non-GFCI breaker to conduited #10-3 wire. In the outside JB the hot leg is wire nutted down to #12 wire which goes to a 20A GFCI outlet. #12 wire leaves GFCI as also #12 wire to 2 SPST switches in parallel, one of which controls the pool light, the other controls the pool pump. The wires leaving the switches step back up to #10 gauge. So far so good. However, I am installing a 1.5 HP replacement pool pump which specifies a 30A breaker and #10 wire. So my question is, are the two swithces which are 15A rated, and the GFCI which is 20A rated sufficient if I replace all #12 gauge with #10 gauge. Or, do they make 30A rated GFCI's and 30A rated switches? Or must I purchase a 30A GFCI circuit breaker, ditch the 20A GFCI recepticle and purchase 30A rated switches?
Thanks in advance!
Ray

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-07, 09:53 AM
You need to have two circuits. You need a 30 amp circuit for the pump, and a 15 or 20 amp circuit for the light.

Old 05-03-07, 10:17 AM
Hi Bob-
This is the original wiring which is about 30 years old. I am pretty sure that code has changed since then, however, rather than run new conduit from my basement to an outside JB which will entail much work, the load calculation for my pump is 18.75 amps plus 4.2 amps for a 500 watt pool light is less than 80% continuous duty. Am I missing something? I cannot pull new wiring into existing conduit (at least I don't think so as this is 1" conduit). Can I safely pull new wire into the existing conduit without exceeding the fill capacity of this conduit?
Thanks again.
ray

Old 05-03-07, 10:23 AM
You are not allowed to protect the light with a 30 amp breaker. It's not allowed.

What about your convenience receptacle, the one located more then 10 feet but less than 20 feet from the pool? Can you extend that circuit?

Yes, you can add two more wires to the conduit. Use a #10 ground, a #10 hot and neutral, and a #20 hot and neutral.

Old 05-03-07, 10:33 AM
Bob-
OK. You answered the question on why I need the two circuits. That explains the 20A breaker, and 20A GFCI to protect the light. I have a correction- the conduit is only 3/4". Still OK to pull 3 #12 wires in addition to the #10-3 already in the conduit? I will use the existing 10-3 for the pool pump and protect with a GFCI breaker. I will connect the the newly pulled #12-3 to the convenience GFCI recepticle and from there to the pool light. Sound O.K?
Thanks again.
Ray