Running romex wire down studs...

Old 05-07-07, 01:24 PM
Running romex wire down studs...

I need to wire a room that has been framed. I need to run some 14/2 to a couple of switches. The switches will have more then one cable run to each, dropped down from a hole in the top plate. I understand that code says the cables must be stapled down the side of the stud in the dead center of a 2x4. What do I do if I have to run two cables? I know I cannot staple one on top of the other and I cannot staple them side by side, is this so?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-07, 01:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can run one down the left stud and one down the right stud, or you can get "stacker" cable staples that are made for stacking cables on top of each other.

Old 05-07-07, 01:37 PM
Thanks. Looks like the stacker is my best bet. At least one of the switches has wires on either side of each stud due to switches that face into the opposite room. I'll look into stackers. The switches that face into the other room have the wires stapled next to each other, not even directly next to each other i might add and neither is in the center. so i'll fix those too with the stackers. thank you again.

Old 05-07-07, 02:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
As long as the staples are rated for multiple cables, and local codes allow, you can staple the 2 cables flat under the staple.