Running wires into finished bedroom walls

Old 05-07-07, 01:30 PM
Running wires into finished bedroom walls

I would like to add a light fixture in the middle of my bedroom. The switch is already on the wall. I have an unfinished attic above. Is it permissable to drill through the top plate from the attic and just fish the romex wire down the wall? My concern is that if I do this, the wire will not be stapled along the studs as is normally required but I do not want to tear apart the walls.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-07, 01:42 PM
Yes, you are allowed to fish wire between unfinished walls without stapling the wire to the studs.

Old 05-07-07, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the quick response. This benefits me greatly, but I guess I don't understand why is it ok to do this when there are such strict codes pertaining to the routing of cable through unfinished walls. I'm glad I can do it, it just seems strange that I am able to fish a cable though a while with no regard as to whether it is up against the drywall or not, yet if I staple my cable within 1" from the edge of the stud, its a code violation.

Old 05-07-07, 02:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Before you attempt this you need to determine if the current switch wiring is just a switch loop or if it has the correct wiring with neutral to allow you to connect for the light.

Old 05-07-07, 02:13 PM
Code considers the finished walls to be the support for the cable that the studs and staples normally supply. Further, since the walls are already in place there won't be any sheet rock screws to cause problems, which are what the bulk of the problems are from.

Yes, I know that people still hang pictures and that cables an be damaged from those nails. However, those damages are not as likely since the cable is usually not taut within the wall.

Old 05-07-07, 02:28 PM
pcboss - thanks, its not a switch loop, rather its a new switch waiting for the light fixture. I'm all set w/ the circuit, just wasn't clear on pulling the wires.

Rac - thanks. I guess it makes sense about drywall screws. For everything else caution should prevail. Thanks.