Electric stovetop-how close can it be to a wall?

Old 05-10-07, 03:13 PM
Electric stovetop-how close can it be to a wall?

I am thinking of installing an electric stovetop in my small kitchen.
I will have only 30" at the end of the sink counter for it so it would butt up against the wall. Is this O.K. or is there a minimum clearance required?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-07, 03:16 PM
The installation instructions would normally be the place to find any restrictions on how close the rangetop can be to any walls.

Personally, I would not want it any closer than six inches on the side.

Old 05-10-07, 04:25 PM
How large is the cabinet on the end where you plan to install the cook top. For a 30" cook top, you need at least a 36" cabinet. It is best not to install cook tops or stoves on the end of a run of cabinets because you need counter space on each side. The National Kitchen & Bath Association recommends a minimum of 12" of landing area on one side of a cooking surface and 15" on the other side and both landing areas at the same height. Appliance manufacturer's instructions and local building codes will address clearances but typically do not address landing areas.

Old 05-10-07, 06:01 PM
I have only 30" of counter space at the end of the counter to work with and can build a cabinet to fit in that space. Landing area on the left side of the stove is out of the question.
Right now I am only interested in safety and code compliance since it will be visible to any future buyer.
I just found out that GE makes a 27" drop in electric range that would fit in there, but that would only give me a 1 1/2 inch clearance on each side and I don't know if that would work.
Any ideas?
Thanks.

Old 05-11-07, 06:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Not sure if you're talking about just the stove, or stove and oven combo. If it has an oven, you'll need some clearance to allow the oven door to open without scraping the wall.

Furd has the right answer though - check the installation instructions for the range you're looking at. They are usually very specific as to clearances.

Old 05-11-07, 07:02 AM
Thanks. That particular range calls for 3 inches on each side, so I think I am stuck with my 24 inch range.