current leak?

Old 05-11-07, 01:12 PM
current leak?

I am installing a switched circuit with two outlets beyond the switch and installed the switch on the positive (white) side of the circuit. When the switch is ON the two outlets test nice and bright, but when I tested the outlets with the switch OFF, there was a slight glow from my circuit tester.
This does not seem quite kosher.
Should I have installed the switch on the negative (black) side of the circuit or is there a deeper problem?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-07, 01:29 PM
There is no negative or positive. This is alternating current. You have a hot wire (which is both positive and negative) and a neutral (or return) wire. I am concerned that you did NOT wire this properly.

Please tell us exactly what connections you made at the switch and at the receptacles. I suspect that you switched the wrong wire and that you now have a incorrect and dangerous installation.

Old 05-11-07, 01:47 PM
Thanks for explaining A/C that there is no negative or positive. I never really understood it before, I just knew that black was hot and white not quite so hot but still hot and that kept me out of trouble all these years.
You are right that I did not wire it properly. I Googled "switch installation" and the first thing it said was to wire on the black side.
I redid it and now things work right.
Thanks for your interest.

Old 05-11-07, 01:49 PM
I'm glad you are now working properly.

Please go and buy the book "Wiring Simplified." It will tell you how to wire this properly, and it would have saved you time. It will also tell you WHY your tester glowed dimly with the switch off. More importantly, it will help you when you have another wiring project in the future.