Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

? about attic vent fan in the same attic as a whole house fan

Old 05-11-07, 12:35 PM

I live in the western United States in a region where the humidity is usually quite low. I have an evaporative cooler on one end of the house and a whole house fan in the upstairs to the attic on the other end of the house. Sometimes I use the "swamp cooler" on "pump only" and let the attic fan draw the evaporative cooled thru it, and sometimes when it gets real hot, I use the whole house fan on low, swamp cooler on high and open a window slightly. this time of the year when the temperature doesn't usually exceed 85 F but when the sun is blistering, my upstairs attic heats up. I really don't want to draw the hot outside air in to the house yet (and it's still a little too cool at night to remove the evaporative cooler seal and insulation). I would like to put a small gable fan below one of the roof vents, and be able to switch it on/off (my attic fan has a 2 speed switch with off, and I can only use it on low setting because of lack of attic space above it---thinking about using the high-speed switch setting to turn the gable vent fan on off as I've got a 4 x 4 box in the attic where the 3 wire romex (black, white, red with ground) where the black connects to the low speed attic fan input and the red connects to the high speed fan input). ------------------------------------------------------------------------my question is, if I have whole house fan running with small atic vent fan off, it's blade is going to still be spinning (not by the motor but) with exhaust air forced out of the attic roof vent by the whole house fan. Is this going to cause any problems either to the small exhaust fan motor or the electical system? thx (sorry about the lack of paragraph formatting. I don't see any way to do this on this forum).

Last edited by jrx10; 05-11-07 at 12:42 PM. Reason: more info
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-07, 01:20 PM
I see no problems with that. Fans "windmill" in the breeze all the time on rooftop condensers, roof fans, etc. There will be no electrical problems, since the fan is not energized.
Go for it!