Help!!

Old 05-11-07, 08:35 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help!!

I am building a second detached garage beside my original one. There is a 60a breaker box that feeds off the main breaker box in the house. The box has 3 empty spaces left. I currently have 2 20amps for outlets along the wall, 1 15amp for ceiling outlets that I plug my shop lights into, and 1 double pole 20 amp for the air compressor. I want to put in 2 20amp breakers & 1 15amp breaker for the new garage. My question: In order to wire from the existing garage to the new, do I install a smaller breaker box in the new garage, or can I run 3 wires from the garage breaker box directly into the new garage? How many outlets can I put on a 20amp & 15amp breaker without exceeding the max amperage of the box? Also, the township requires I provide an electrical diagram of the new wiring. Does anyone know how to do this?
Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-07, 08:55 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You cannot run more than one circuit to a detached building. You can run ONE of the following:

A single 120 volt circuit (15 or 20 amp).

A multiwire circuit, which will give you two 15 or 20 amp circuits at the garage.

A 240 volt circuit feed for a sub panel. This will give you as much power as you need, based on whatever is available at your main panel.

You need to figure out what you need at the garage and go from there. Based on your posts (indicating a lack of knowledge) you either need to call an electrician or do a lot of learning.