Extra white wire???

Old 05-12-07, 12:09 PM
Red face Extra white wire???

Ok, here is the situation. Updating the light switches in my entrance. Three switches are there. One for the porch, one for the pole, and one for the inside entrance. Took off the cover plate and found three way switches. I bought toggle switches.....hmmmm. So, upon pulling all three switches from the wall, two were a snap to redo. (the second two) The first switch in line however had 2 white and one black wire. One white went into the common plunge thing and then one black and one white were in the top plunge things. I put the black and white that were at the top on the side nuts of my new switch.... not sure what to do with the second white wire. Oh, and the switch doesn't work. The other two do, but not the first one.

Help me puhlease. Do I put both white wires together on the same nut? Do I piggy back it to something else? Probably a simple solution, I just don't know what it is.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-07, 12:38 PM
Go out and buy the proper three way switch. It will have three screw positions. Note carefully which wire was connected to the black common screw of your old switch. Connect that wire to the common screw of your new switch. It might not be in the same position as the old switch.

Old 05-12-07, 01:12 PM
As joed said, take the two way switches back and buy the proper three way switches.

When you get the new switches do NOT use the "plunge things" which are more properly called back stabs. They are prone to failure. Instead use the screw terminals.

Old 05-12-07, 02:24 PM
Is there something wrong with using the toggle kind with the screws on the sides?

Old 05-12-07, 02:41 PM
If you originally had three way switches, then you need to replace with three way switches. This is necessary to continue to be able to control the light from more than one place.

However, I suspect that you did not originally have three ways witches, at least not for all of them, and that you need to figure out what you did have.

Bottom line: Use the same type of switches (two way or three way) as were originally installed, and connect the wires in the same manner.

Old 05-12-07, 04:45 PM
ok... got it. Thanks for your help! I'm off to go buy some three ways!!