Tandem Breakers?

Old 05-12-07, 10:55 PM
Tandem Breakers?

Hi all,

We are remodeling our kitchen and are swapping out our range hood for an over-the-range microwave. I understand I should run a dedicated 20A circuit for the new microwave, and unfortunately the current hood is wired with a few ceiling lights and a couple non-kitchen receptacles, so I know that will not do.

The problem (other than trying to figure out how to snake the new wire!) is my circuit breaker panel is full, so I have nowhere to put this new circuit. I am having trouble finding any information about my panel to see if it will allow tandem breakers. The label indicates it is a Crouse-Hinds E26095, Type F, Class CTL, Type 1 enclosure. It is likely original from when the condo was built, around 1984-85. Does anyone know where I can find information on this panel, specifically if I can use tandem breakers? Otherwise, my only option is a subpanel, correct?

Thanks!
-Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-07, 11:27 PM
I can't remember the Type F off hand, but does it look like this?:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Crouse-Hinds-20-A-Tandem-MH2020-MH-MM-Circuit-Breaker_W0QQitemZ7613161582QQcmdZViewItem

Old 05-13-07, 01:20 AM
That looks close, but I don't have any tandems yet -- I am checking to see if I can put them in my panel. I checked, and all of the breakers in there now are Crouse-Hinds Type MP, like this:

http://www.a-electric.net/images/MP-120.jpg

I checked the label again, and it looks like Crouse-Hinds MP, MH, and MM breakers are allowed, along with Bryant GFCB and Westinghouse HQP. Hope it helps!

Thanks,
-Mike

Old 05-13-07, 03:37 AM
nap
there a a couple things you need to be aware of before proceeding.

You say this is a condo. Do you own the condo? If not, then you are generally not legally allowed to do this work unless you are a licensed elect, permit, yada yada...

Next, even if you do own the condo, there may be rules of your association that restrict who may be allowed to perform such work. Since any mistake you make could cause a problem for the adjoining units, it would not be out of line to reqquire all work such as this to be performed by a licensed electricion. Many jurisdications don;t care if you nurn down your own house but when you may affect the neighbors, well, they tend to want it done right.

Next, since you are adding a circuit, depending on the rules of your jurisdiction, you may need a permit issued by the local building department and be subject to inspection by the local inspector.

If the sub-panel needs to be installed, there is even more chance of a permit required.

Old 05-13-07, 09:09 AM
I own the condo, and there are no special restrictions on what we can do on the interior. I live in a permit-happy area, so I will be pulling one. I'm probably going to have an electrican do the work at the panel anyway, but I really want to understand what options I have to expand the panel beforehand.