Tandem Breakers?


Old 05-12-07, 11:55 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 3
Tandem Breakers?

Hi all,

We are remodeling our kitchen and are swapping out our range hood for an over-the-range microwave. I understand I should run a dedicated 20A circuit for the new microwave, and unfortunately the current hood is wired with a few ceiling lights and a couple non-kitchen receptacles, so I know that will not do.

The problem (other than trying to figure out how to snake the new wire!) is my circuit breaker panel is full, so I have nowhere to put this new circuit. I am having trouble finding any information about my panel to see if it will allow tandem breakers. The label indicates it is a Crouse-Hinds E26095, Type F, Class CTL, Type 1 enclosure. It is likely original from when the condo was built, around 1984-85. Does anyone know where I can find information on this panel, specifically if I can use tandem breakers? Otherwise, my only option is a subpanel, correct?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-07, 12:27 AM
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 995
I can't remember the Type F off hand, but does it look like this?:

Old 05-13-07, 02:20 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 3
That looks close, but I don't have any tandems yet -- I am checking to see if I can put them in my panel. I checked, and all of the breakers in there now are Crouse-Hinds Type MP, like this:


I checked the label again, and it looks like Crouse-Hinds MP, MH, and MM breakers are allowed, along with Bryant GFCB and Westinghouse HQP. Hope it helps!

Old 05-13-07, 04:37 AM
nap's Avatar
nap is offline
New Member
Join Date: May 2006
Location: north
Posts: 4,163
there a a couple things you need to be aware of before proceeding.

You say this is a condo. Do you own the condo? If not, then you are generally not legally allowed to do this work unless you are a licensed elect, permit, yada yada...

Next, even if you do own the condo, there may be rules of your association that restrict who may be allowed to perform such work. Since any mistake you make could cause a problem for the adjoining units, it would not be out of line to reqquire all work such as this to be performed by a licensed electricion. Many jurisdications don;t care if you nurn down your own house but when you may affect the neighbors, well, they tend to want it done right.

Next, since you are adding a circuit, depending on the rules of your jurisdiction, you may need a permit issued by the local building department and be subject to inspection by the local inspector.

If the sub-panel needs to be installed, there is even more chance of a permit required.
Old 05-13-07, 10:09 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 3
I own the condo, and there are no special restrictions on what we can do on the interior. I live in a permit-happy area, so I will be pulling one. I'm probably going to have an electrican do the work at the panel anyway, but I really want to understand what options I have to expand the panel beforehand.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes