no current to porch light

Old 05-13-07, 10:15 AM
no current to porch light

My porch light stop working, I replaced the buld - nothing. I checked the wires for current and did not get any reading on the meter. Checked all other outlets and fixtures which are working ok.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-07, 10:38 AM
I don;t understand "I checked for current". I know hot to check for voltage, but I do not know how a homeowner can safely check for current, nor do I suspect you did this.

Please describe what you did do and how you did it, and what you did it with.

Old 05-13-07, 11:10 AM
I used a digital multimeter and placed each probe to the wires connected to the socket to get a voltage measurement.

Old 05-13-07, 11:37 AM
Testing for voltage does not give you a measurement for current.

Knowing the difference between these two most basic terms is very important regarding doing electrical work.

There are tons of excellent sources for learning basic electrical theroy both online and at the book store. Please study up before trying to do electrical work on your own.

Old 05-13-07, 11:42 AM
see lower post for info

Last edited by french277V; 05-13-07 at 11:45 AM. Reason: hit the wrong key sorry about that
Old 05-13-07, 11:44 AM
Well ,, useing the ditagal voltmeter can read the voltage but not always be accure at all.

Anyway this what you should do is look at the socket to make sure the tab is good shape the center concat spring gizmo you can see [ just dont stick your finger in there ] and make sure sure the switch going to this porch lumiaire is off or turn off breaker [ i always dont trust the switch because some switch can malfunction as well ]

you may have to bend the tab a little to get better concant if that fail then what you have to do next is check the switch if you are getting power at the switch.

if not then what you have to do this next is make sure you have the power off to this switch and you will have to remove the lumiaire and check for any loose wire or wirenuts get loosen up. [ this will be pretty common on outdoor lumiaires some case the connection can fail at that point ]

if they look very good then put it back on then go to the switch and replace the switch but before you do that Make sure you make a NOTE of the CONNECTION to advoid any headache later and put the new switch in there.

if dont slove the prolbem there please post it back here few other can help you as well too

Merci , Marc

also what JWhite will expain make sure you read the book to understand the system very carefully there

Old 05-13-07, 02:13 PM
Marc, Thanks - it was the switch (loose wire).