Water Well Filtration

Old 05-13-07, 12:19 PM
Rosie13
Visiting Guest
Water Well Filtration

Hi Folks. I'm getting ready to install a whole-house water well filtration system. The unit will be in the wellhouse, in front of the holding tank. The pipes coming from the well there are metal. The filter housing is plastic. I would like to plumb to the filter housing with PVC.

Am I correct to assume the buried metal pipes lent an electrical grounding to the system? If so, I figure to l lose that grounded quality by adding the stretch of PVC; and that since the filter housing is plastic as well, that can't be avoided by using metal to plumb in instead of PVC.

The electrical control box itself has been hit by lightning three times in the last ten years, and I figured the buried metal pipes were what saved the submersible pump from the same fate.

If so, is there a way to preserve that grounding for the sake of the pump? Thanks for your thoughts on this subject. Rosie 13

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-07, 07:38 PM
you chould use a bond to by-pass the pump. You are going to need two pipe clamps, the same metal as your pipe, and some number 6 bare copper. connect one clamp to one side of the filter, one to the other side, and use the bare number 6 to jumper the two sides. Just don't put the pipe clamps on the pvc, go to the metal side, but like I said, make sure if you have copper piping, you use a copper clamp, if you have steel, use a steel clamp.

Old 05-13-07, 08:25 PM
Rosie13
Visiting Guest
Preserving ground, ref water well filtration

Thanks so much HBSPARKY! That's an excellent solution!