Surface mount J box questions???

Old 05-13-07, 01:25 PM
Arrow Surface mount J box questions???

We're planning new kitchen cabinets with a "built in" microwave. (a trim kit on a regular microwave). We need to get it into the shallowest cabinet possible, without violating code or warranty. Regarding installation cabinet depth it says "21⁄₄" with flush receptacle, or with non-flush receptacle located in far corner; 26⁄₄" with non-flush receptacle."

Of course the 21⁄₄" is what we're after but this cabinet is adjacent to another so the receptacle has to be surface mounted inside the cabinet. What type of J box is available to do this? How do you keep the box small and not break fill calculations? How does IEC 2003 apply to the microwave receptacle, like does it have to be on its own circuit or can it tap off another GFI circuit?

Thanks a lot guys!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-07, 02:12 PM
nap
you are going to want the micro on its own circuit whether code requires it or not. They are large enough that a mic and just about anything else overloads a 15 amo circuit and in many cases even a 20 amp circuit.

A handybox is quite small (it is essentially a single gang junction box) I don;t like to use them because they are so small. If it were me, I would use one and a single recep rather than a duplex recep.You can get them in 1 1/2 inch depth.

Old 05-13-07, 03:11 PM
You're right it's a 1000W microwave. The receptacle will be buried in the cabinet, but does it still need to be a GFI because its in the kitchen? What about box fill issues w/a 1-1/2" handy box?

Thanks.

Old 05-13-07, 03:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I believe only countertop small appliance receptacles are required to be GFCI's protected, so I think you should be fine.

Old 05-13-07, 06:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I mount a single gang old-work box thru the cabinet back and the drywall. It makes for a nice clean install and box fill does not become an issue.

Old 05-13-07, 06:50 PM
I have to be inside - its on the end of an L with another cabinet behind...

Old 05-13-07, 07:55 PM
Just FYI. Microwaves labeled as "1000-watt microwaves" have 1000 watts of output power. Typically the input power required is significantly more. This makes the argument for a dedicated circuit even greater.

Old 05-14-07, 05:28 AM
Do you know how to learn what the input power is or if a 15A or 20A circuit is required?

Old 05-14-07, 06:40 AM
It's on there somewhere, probably on a sticker inside the cooking compartment.

Old 05-14-07, 07:51 AM
Why?

Why does the outlet-box have to be surface-mounted ( I Presume in the cabinet that encloses the appliance ) because the cabinet is "Adjacent" to another cabinet?