running BX cable for recessed lights.

Old 05-15-07, 08:55 AM
running BX cable for recessed lights.

I just had recessed lights installed on the 1st floor of a 2 story home. The electrician ran the BX cable along the bottom of the rafters instead of drilling a hole through the rafters.

There is no way get drywall flush against the rafter now because of the cable.

Is this normal? Why wouldn't you drill a hole in the rafter and run the BX cable through the hole?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-07, 09:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
This is shoddy workmanship. Cables should never be installed on the face of the framing in a drywalled building. You should absolutely demand a refund or correction of the work.

Old 05-15-07, 09:43 AM
I can't even imagine his thought process. Doesn't a recessed light imply a ceiling will be there? He needs to repair his mistake.

What kind of contract was he working under? Is there anything that would lead him to believe the cable could be under the rafter? What would his side of the story be?

Old 05-15-07, 10:05 AM
Thanks...

Thanks...it definately didn't look right to me....all he did was put drywall compound over the holes.

Old 05-15-07, 10:08 AM
What holes did he cover?

Old 05-15-07, 10:10 AM
he cut out the drywall underneath each rafter and stapled the bx cable to the rafter and then put mud over the hole and cable.

Old 05-15-07, 11:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Wow! Is this an actual electrician or another DIYer? If he is an actual electrician, I would have the city inspector come out and take a look at his work.

What would prevent someone at later time nailing or drilling something into that wire? Even with wire going through the center of the joists, you still need a nail plate.

Old 05-15-07, 12:57 PM
"Even with wire going through the center of the joists, you still need a nail plate."

HUH???

Old 05-15-07, 01:03 PM
The plate that you nail into the face of the studs to prevent nailing into the wire........though probably just required for walls.

Old 05-15-07, 01:54 PM
Has something changed? The plates are only required when you can't get far enough behind the edge of the wood. The center of a 2x4 is sufficient to not require nail plates for most cables.

Old 05-15-07, 03:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Nothing has changed -- nail plates are only required for wiring that is less than 1-1/4" from the edge of the framing.

Old 05-15-07, 04:04 PM
First off, if he used BX and not MC cable then thats a problem right there, 2, you can run MC cable along the bottom of joists/rafters as long as you're not putting drywall over it(cough).... And as for just putting mud over the cable then please call your local building inspector so that way if he is licensed they will review it cause that is uncalled for.

Old 05-16-07, 03:36 AM
"2, you can run MC cable along the bottom of joists/rafters as long as you're not putting drywall over it(cough).... "

I think that the wire needs to be number 6 or larger, or you need to install running boards. I am thinking basement, not crawl space.