Heat Pump Max Amps

Old 05-16-07, 08:21 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Heat Pump Max Amps

I had a heat pump installed last year professionally. The breaker is 30 Amps but the outside unit states 25 Amp Max Fuse and 16.5 Min Amp. I'm trying to get the installer to come back out and change it free of charge because we are selling our house and the buyers inspection is requesting the change. I've also been told that this is a normal thing to do because 25 Amp breakers are difficult to find. Please advise. Is this something that we need to do or is there an explanation and more importantly is it safe?

Old 05-17-07, 04:12 AM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You don't have to do anything. You can, if you want, tell the buyer to go jump in a lake. However, I don't advise that if you want to sell the house. I suggest that you buy and install a smaller breaker so that you can sell the house. Unless the buyer is specifically telling you to put in a 25 amp breaker, just put in a 20.

Old 05-17-07, 05:34 AM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
I agree. 25 is the MAX. So put in a 20.

Old 05-17-07, 07:16 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If you are capable of doing this yourself, it'll cost you five bucks and five minutes.

Old 05-17-07, 08:19 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
> I've also been told that this is a normal thing to do because 25 Amp
> breakers are difficult to find.

Both true; however it is a violation of electrical code to do so. There are some situations where "rounding up" breaker size is allowed, but the rounded up value cannot exceed the manufacturer's "Max OCPD" limit.

> Please advise.

Replace the 30A breaker with a 20A or 25A. If the A/C won't start without tripping the 20A breaker (unlikely), go back to the 30A breaker and replace the A/C disconnect with a fused disconnect containing 25A time delay fuses. Either case is a pretty cheap fix.

> importantly is it safe?

Yes it's safe; the worst that could happen is a damaged A/C compressor under very specific failure conditions.

Old 05-17-07, 02:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
If the unit specifically calls for fuses then you would need a fused disconnect with 25 amp fuses. You could then leave the breaker as it is.

Is the unit currently fused?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: