1 Out Of 4 ???

Old 05-18-07, 09:03 AM
1 Out Of 4 ???

I HAVE 4 LIGHTS IN MY BASEMENT THAT ARE ON THE SAME CURCUIT, BUT ONLY THE LIGHT AT THE TOP OF THE STAIRS TURNS ON. THEY ARE POWERED BY 2 3-WAY SWITCHES ( which both switches turn on and off that one light that is working ). I SPENT THE LAST TWO DAYS CHECKING ALL THE CONNECTIONS IN THE SWITCHES AND JUNCTION BOXES OVER AND OVER AGAIN AND CAN'T REMEDY THE PROBLEM. TO TOP IT OFF THIS MORNING I TURNED ON THE BASEMENT LIGHTS AND ALL THE LIGHTS CAME ON. THE THREE LIGHTS I'M HAVING THE PROBLEM WITH - FLICKERED, WENT OUT, THEN CAME BACK ON AND STAYED ON. I'M THINKING A LOOSE GROUND OR BAD 3-WAY. I NEED SOMEONES IMPUT PLS. THX

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-07, 09:06 AM
Please do not type in all uppercase letters. It is considered to be shouting and rude, and is hard to read.

A ground is not the problem. Lights do not care about or need a ground to operate.

You have a loose connection. Since one light is fine and the others are the problem, it is NOT at either switch it is as either the working light or the first non-working light.

Recheck the connections. Remake the wire nutted connections with brand new wire nuts.

Old 05-18-07, 09:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Please don't type in all caps, it is hard to read.

A loose or bad ground would not cause the problem you are having. You have a loose connection somewhere in the circuit. You don't say if you have backstabbed connections or not. Backstab connections can look good when they really are not. You could turn off the power and move all the connections to the screw terminals. Move one at a time to avoid crossing any connections. Make a small loop in the wire and wrap it clockwise around the screw and tighten the screw down.