Adding an electrical outlet with only two wires

Old 05-19-07, 09:56 AM
Adding an electrical outlet with only two wires

I just removed an old oven vent and will be putting in an over the range microwave/range instead. I removed the old vent hood, which was connected to a black/white/ground wire. The microwave however has a plug on the back of it instead of bare wires for me to connect it. I would like to add an external electrical outlet to the cabinet directly above it, then I will just drill a hole in the cabinet and run the microwave plug through and plug it in.

Do these junction outlets connect to just three wires (black, white, ground)? Everytime I have replaced an electrical outlet in the wall, I have to connect 5 wires (2 black, 2 white, and a ground).

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-07, 10:15 AM
Yes, a receptacle connects to the wires you have.

However, you most likely cannot (and should not) connect a microwave to this circuit. A built in microwave most certainly requires a dedicated circuit. Traditionally range hoods are not on a dedicated circuit.

Unless this is a dedicated circuit with nothing else on it then you need to run a new circuit for the microwave all the way from the panel.

Old 05-19-07, 11:31 AM
What you saw before was the wires feeding a receptacle, as well as moving on to feed another one. What you are seeing now is either a dedicated receptacle or a receptacle at the end of a circuit. But you have all the wires you need. Are these wires in a box that a receptacle will mount into?

What else is on the same circuit as this receptacle? Now would be a good time to map all the electrical in your house, as every homeowner should do.

Old 05-19-07, 01:28 PM
As mentined, in new construction or remodel, they would want the microwave on a dedicated circuit, because it may well be as much as a 12 amp load. You may or may not be able to "grandfather" this retrofit, but if other outlets in the kitchen are on the same circuit, you may experience nuisance trips due to overload. The orignal hood fan was a much smaller current load than a microwave, hence they were often not put on a dedicated circuit.